Women’s basketball starts season 0-2 despite strong performances from Dumiak

Despite falling twice during its opening week, the AU women’s basketball saw a new leader emerge in Jen Dumiak, who led the team in scoring against Western Michigan and Oakland Nov. 10 and Nov. 12, respectively.

The sophomore guard started off the season with a career-high 21 points against Western Michigan, and then poured in 20 points two nights later at Oakland. Dumiak was unable to carry the Eagles to victory, as they fell behind early in both games.

"We must improve our transition defense and ball security if we want to be successful moving forward,” AU head coach Matt Corkery told AU Athletics. “When we begin to take better care of the ball and find our defensive identity, then good things will happen."

Both AU and Western Michigan (1-0) jumped out aggressively during the first half of their game.

The Eagles led 22-19, before the Broncos answered with a 10-2 run. Jessica Jessing ended the half with six straight points to put Western Michigan up 29-24 as the teams headed to the locker room.

The Eagles (0-2) played a game of catch-up for most of the second half, which wasn’t enough to put them on top at the final buzzer.

With five minutes remaining, AU knocked in six straight points to cut Western Michigan’s lead down to five.

Dumiak helped the Eagles fight back and tie the score at 53 apiece with less than three minutes left, but the Broncos took advantage of two AU turnovers in the final minutes to gain the 57-53 lead and eventual victory.

The Eagles lacked fire early on in their second road game, falling 70-60 to Oakland after failing to come back from a first-half deficit.

Dumiak shined again on both ends, going 6-13 from the field with two 3-pointers, while adding a team-high six rebounds and three steals on defense.

Geleisa George matched a career-high with 11 points, and Alexis Dobbs recorded five assists.

AU continued to struggle on offense, shooting less than 35 percent from the field for the second straight game. Oakland (2-0) shot 51 percent and led for the entire second half.

Dumiak’s leadership will be very beneficial in light of Lisa Strack’s graduation. Last season’s Patriot League Player of the Year, Strack was injured before last year’s semifinal game against Holy Cross, and the women suffered a shocking loss.

The Eagles will next face No. 5 Maryland and Elon on the road Nov. 21 and Nov. 24, respectively.

sraphelson@theeagleonline.com