Sunday, June 23, 2024

Frank Abagnale to speak at KPU event

The U.S’s most infamous con artist is coming to AU on Nov. 15.

Frank Abagnale will be speaking to students at 7:00 p.m. in MGC University Club. The Kennedy Political Union will host the event.

Abagnale started his career as a con man in the 1960s. During that time he cashed $2.5 million in fraudulent checks and escaped from police custody twice while pretending to be an airline pilot, an attorney, a college professor and a pediatrician.

When he was 21 he was caught by the French police but served less than five years in prison before he was released on the condition that he help the U.S. federal government fight crime.

Since then he has developed and implemented numerous fraud prevention programs for the FBI and has been selected as a member of CNN Financial News’s “Pinnacle 400”, for his success in his field.

He published an autobiography titled “Catch Me If You Can” in 1980. The book was later turned into a film directed by Steven Spielberg and a Tony-Award winning musical.

As the semester comes to an end and one of the founding members leaves American University, Section 202 has decided to take a trip down memory lane. For our fans, old and new, who are wondering how Section 202 came to be, this episode is a must. Listen along as hosts Connor Sturniolo and Liah Argiropoulos reminisce about the beginning of Section 202 and how it got to where it is now.