AU educates students on financial aid

As the University has tried to help students understand private and federal loans, a post from AU on Facebook provoked criticism that the University did not understand students’ needs.

The post, which garnered almost 100 comments after it was published Oct. 22, displayed a graph that compared the indebtedness of students who took out private loans versus federal ones. The University’s suggestion that students elected to take out the private loans irked some students, who were quick to express their displeasure.

“If federal loans don’t cover the rising cost of tuition, then there is no ‘elective’ nature in taking out private loans,” Paul Grobman, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs, wrote on Facebook.

The heated online discussion came in the midst of AU’s push to increase students’ financial literacy. The University has launched a college affordability section to its website, which combines all of the financial aid information available at AU into one location, according to Maralee Csellar, associate director of media relations. The University is also holding workshops and information sessions on smart college spending and on how families and prospective students should apply for financial aid, said Shirleyne McDonald, associate director of financial aid at AU.

She said the graph in question did not refer to students who had already exhausted their federal loan options.

“We’re talking about students that did not apply for financial aid or did not qualify for any need-based aid,” she said.

Financial aid is the University’s third-highest expense, following the faculty and staff salaries and maintenance costs.

“The importance that the institution places on helping our student finance their education is second only to our commitment to having the best possible teachers and faculty,” McDonald said.

The amount of financial aid that AU can give to each individual student is limited by a variety of factors, according to McDonald.

“As families are making their choices, they are being bombarded with information about the entire process,” McDonald said, “What we try to do is we try to be a trusted source, one that students and families can come to for objective information about the entire process.”

AU has always prioritized transparency and full disclosure, McDonald said.

“Everyone is committed to ensuring that all our students and families are supported,” she said.

“It’s not just the efforts of one office. It is an institution-wide effort.”