McDonald's space to remain empty for another year

The space McDonald’s previously occupied will not be filled until spring 2013 at the earliest.

Auxiliary Services Director Dave Courter said the department was unable to find a replacement this semester because the final candidates were unable to commit.

Courter said two companies, a national chain and a local chain, expressed interest in the space, but encountered obstacles along the way.

“One [company] did not meet the requirements for a variety of menu items for different times of the day and the other was not feasible from a financial perspective,” he wrote in an email to The Eagle.

However, the Dining Services Project Team, which consists of faculty, staff and students, will begin evaluating the “best mix of brands, hours and menus” for the campus community in the fall, according to Courter.

The team will likely release its results next spring, Courter said.

Mice update

Facilities Management said 2-Fix is receiving fewer mouse reports from on-campus residents now than earlier in the spring semester.

The campus pest control contractor said calls for mice are on the decline overall, according to Stephanie DeStefano, AU’s grounds Operations Coordinator.

Additionally, DeStefano said reports from Hughes Hall have decreased to a level similar to other dorms.

Hughes Hall had several issues with mice throughout the school year, prompting Facilities Management to seal openings that mice used to get into the building in November and February, according to DeStefano. Facilities Management also trapped and baited mice in the ceiling.

Stephen Maurer, a freshman in the School of International Service, and Sydney Teglia, a Hughes resident assistant and a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said they have not seen any mice since spring break.

However, there are still occasional mouse sightings around Hughes.

“I never used to see mice, but I saw two in my room about a week and a half ago,” Jake Steiner said, a freshman in SIS.

Jackie Moran, a freshman in SIS and a Hughes resident, said she has seen more mice recently.

“[In the past month], I’ve seen three mice in my room, caught one in the hallway. They come in from underneath my door,” she said. “They roam the hallways and you hear them non-stop.”

DeStefano said technicians will seal any openings that mice have or could be able to use during routine maintenance procedures this summer and in the future.

Additionally, Facilities Management will continue to work with Housing and Dining to educate students on how to properly store food and to keep rooms clean to prevent mice from entering.

“Mice will not survive for long without access to food, so this is key in controlling the mouse population,” DeStefano said.

DeStefano said that utilizing 2-Fix is important for controlling the mouse population.

“It is important that students report all issues to 2-Fix promptly,” DeStefano said, “so we can start working on the problem before it spreads throughout [the residence halls] as it did in Hughes this year.”

pburnett@theeagleonline.com