Students elect RHA executive board

Sophomore Fiona Erickson was elected to be the next president of the Residence Hall Association.

Erickson, the current president of the Letts, Clark and Roper Hall Council, defeated freshmen Sagatom Saha and Frank Baptista for the position in the March 29-30 elections.

“I know the students who voted have high expectations of next year’s executive board, and we are already working towards meeting and exceeding those expectations with concrete plans,” Erickson said in an email.

RHA is an organization that advocates for on-campus residents and works with Housing and Dining and Student Government on a variety of issues to strengthen community in the resident halls, according to the AU RHA website.

Erickson said her primary goal for RHA is to make the body more efficient and cohesive.

“I intend to format the internal aspects of RHA a little differently — not so much restructuring as reinforcing relationships — in order to form a more cohesive RHA,” Erickson said. “Then I intend to reach out to other on-campus leaders, widening our community’s reach and availability.”

Freshman Markie Franck, the current vice president of finance for the Letts, Clark and Roper Hall Council, defeated freshman David Horowitz for vice president of finance and administration.

“I’m honored and excited to represent the residents next year, and I can’t wait to start working with the rest of the new e-board,” Franck said in an email.

For the position of RHA vice president of programming, freshman Lindsey Malcolm, the current vice president of programming for Tenley Hall Council, won against freshman Evan Roglich.

“I cannot wait to begin serving the AU residential community and continuing a solid relationship with SG, which this year’s executive board worked diligently toward establishing,” Malcolm said in an email.

Freshman Samantha Smithson, the current vice president of advocacy for the Letts, Clark and Roper Hall Council, was elected vice president of advocacy and community coordination in an uncontested race.

“I look forward to being on an amazing e-board and to hit the ground running come fall,” Smithson said in an email.

pburnett@theeagleonline.com