Lasky's most memorable moments in D.C.

Unfortunately for the AU community and The Eagle, I have to graduate. With this being the case, this will be the last column I ever write for this paper where I actually talk about sports. Next week’s column will basically be a combination of me talking about how great I am, some cheap shots at people who probably don’t deserve it and, yes, Bruce Springsteen praise.

But I thought for my last sports-related column, I would talk about my thoughts on some important sports moments from my past four years.

Men’s basketball makes the NCAA Tournament … twice

For those who may not know, the Eagles made the NCAAs in 2008 and 2009.

It was awesome. The team addressed the AU community before boarding the team bus, and people actually showed up. It was as if for a week, this campus acted like they were aware that AU has a basketball team.

I have great memories of those teams, and I’m going to need them. With the current makeup of the Eagles’ roster, it might be another 85 years until the Tavern is once again packed with students cheering on the men’s basketball team.

The Redskins … still suck

Honestly, this could be a section title of any story from the last decade. I’ve written numerous times about how terrible they’ve been. I’ve written about free agent and trade busts like Albert Haynesworth and Antwaan Randle El, among many others.

I’ve talked about how the team views the draft as if it doesn’t matter, and I’ve even written a fake article about how Dan Snyder makes roster decisions based on Madden and fantasy football.

Now, I’m told I should be excited again as most believe the ‘Skins will take Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III with the second pick in April 26’s NFL Draft.

Not this time. RG III was obviously amazing last year for Baylor, leading to a Heisman Trophy. His numbers at the NFL combine were some of the best ever in the event for a quarterback.

My lack of faith has nothing to with Griffin’s talent, but everything to do with the fact that the Redskins can’t seem to do anything right.

I was told to be excited when Donovan McNabb came to Washington. When Joe Gibbs came back, I was fooled into believing that he would bring the team back to their ‘80s and early ‘90s dominance. While he did lead the Skins to two playoff appearances, the team was never in serious contention for a Super Bowl.

Hopefully, Griffin can turn the Redskins around. But unless Snyder leaves the roster decisions to professionals, I don’t see that happening.

Jim Riggleman resigns after a walk-off win

A good part of writing for The Eagle is that it offers such great opportunities. For me, that meant I got the chance to cover the Nationals on a regular basis last summer.

In June, I was involved in what may be the most bizarre moment I’ll ever have as a journalist. After a walk-off sacrifice fly by Laynce Nix, Nats manager Jim Riggleman resigned because of a contract dispute.

Instead of interviewing a manager whose team was playing much better than anyone expected them to, we asked questions that day to general manager Mike Rizzo, who made the shocking announcement.

It was probably a very stupid career choice for Riggleman, but you have to respect that he stood up for what he believed in.

blasky@theeagleonline.com