The American University College Republicans  presented Texas Governor Rick Perry (R) at American University on Friday, March 23, 2012 in the Katzen Recital Hall. Governor Perry discussed politics and issues facing America, but was also greeted by a parade of protestors. The protestors were mostly focusing on the dealth penalty in the state of Texas and the number of those executed while Governor Perry held office.

Brewer protestors get Student Conduct notices

Students who participated in the protests against Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer received email notices from Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution Services, saying their actions in the protest violated the Student Conduct Code.

The students allegedly engaged in “disorderly conduct or interfering with the rights of others” and “willfully [failed] to comply with the directions of university officials, including Public Safety officers or housing staff members, acting in performance of their duties,” according to a copy of the email obtained by The Eagle.

Students were asked to schedule a disciplinary conference with Director of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution Services Rosie McSweeney, the hearing officer assigned to the case, to discuss their violations.

Disciplinary conferences are reserved for students accused of non-academic offenses.

Punishments for these types of offenses are typically less extreme than removal from housing, suspension or dismissal from the University, according to the Student Conduct Code.

Offenses that are more extreme are dealt with through a disciplinary hearing. Those that are more minor are resolved through mediation.

The emails were sent at 3:30 p.m. on March 27, the day Gov. Rick Perry spoke at AU.

Multiple students who received the notice, as well as Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution Services administrators, declined to comment.

rzisser@theeagleonline.com