Task force reviews AU alcohol policy

The Office of the Dean of Students is expected to release its recommendations this spring about AU’s alcohol policies and education.

The Alcohol and Other Drug Task Force reconvened in spring 2011 following a several-year hiatus, according to Dean of Students Robert Hradsky, the task force co-chair. The Task Force consists of AU students, faculty and staff.

The Task Force will look at ways to encourage students to abstain from drinking or to drink in moderation, according to Hradsky and Kate Diemidio, Wellness Center health educator and task force co-chair.

“Our hope is that, between the online education program and these other ways that we are reaching out to students, that they are making better choices about alcohol consumption if they choose to drink,” Hradsky said.

AU is currently pursuing several educational efforts to help students make choices about alcohol. These efforts include requiring first-year students to complete AlcoholEDU, teaching students about the impacts of alcohol during the summer Eagle Summit and requiring resident assistants to speak to residents about alcohol consumption, according to Hradsky.

“The Task Force is looking at all of those issues and will be making recommendations pertaining to those areas and in regard to whether or not we need to change what we’re doing,” Hradsky said.

The recommendations will be passed on to Gail Hanson, the vice president of campus life, Hradsky said.

pburnett@theeagleonline.com