SOC begins move to McKinley Building this spring

AU will begin renovations to McKinley Hall, the new home of the School of Communication, sometime this week, according to University development officials.

The University Architect’s office could not be reached for comment on the specific start date.

SOC is currently located on the third floor of Mary Graydon Center. The School will be completely moved into McKinley Hall as early as 2014, according to Ed Beimfohr, associate dean for Administration and Planning within SOC.

“Having our own building will certainly give SOC a more prominent name on this campus,” Beimfohr said. “We’ll have considerably more space, which will allow us to expand the resources we will be able to offer to students.”

The move to McKinley will allow SOC to expand the number of classrooms available for SOC courses. The school also plans on using a portion of McKinley to construct a theatre similar to MGC’s Weschler theatre. The digital production and technology studios currently on the third floor of MGC will move with the school to McKinley.

AU has not yet finalized plans for the third floor of MGC after SOC moves out.

The School will not renovate MGC at the same time as the McKinley renovations so that it can reduce the impact on SOC students during the renovations.

“None of the activities, like classes or events, that will be taking place in Mary Graydon before the completion of these renovations will be impacted by the renovations,” Beimfohr said. “The idea was to have no effect on the SOC students during this period.”

Nebraska, Letts to be renovated this summer

The University is also finalizing plans to renovate Nebraska and Letts Halls this summer as part of the 10-year plan to renovate the interior of each residence hall.

The details of these renovations are still being developed and will not be set into motion until the University has finished with the D.C. Zoning Commission concerns, according to Sophia Benedicktus, assistant director of Operations for Housing and Dining.

The Zoning Commission is currently reviewing AU’s plan to expand Nebraska Hall.

“We’re still in the planning stages,” Benedicktus said. “There are a lot of plans being made for Nebraska, but the renovations themselves are still quite a ways a way.”

zcrain@theagleonline.com