Field hockey wins PL regular season

The AU field hockey team won its ninth straight Patriot League regular season title when it defeated Lafayette College 3-1 Oct. 30 in Easton, Pa.

Natalie Ellenberger, Melissa Casale and Shelly Montgomery each scored for the Eagles (9-7, 4-1 PL), who will host the upcoming Patriot League Tournament.

AU had the first scoring chance of the contest eight minutes when Kati Rothenhoefer broke down the Lafayette (9-8, 4-1 PL) defense. But Lafayette goalkeeper Jessica Deutsch came out of the cage to make the save.

The Eagles broke the scoreless tie in the 31st minute, when an AU penalty corner resulted in a rebound that bounced to Ellenberger. The senior scored her second goal of the season to send the Eagles into the half up 1-0.

Lafayette responded shortly after the intermission to tie the score at one apiece. Emily Valeo made a couple of strong individual moves to beat AU goalkeeper Stephanie Burry for her fourth goal of the season.

With less than 12 minutes remaining, Casale netted the game-winning goal for the Eagles. Casale’s strike was converted on a rebound following a penalty corner and assured that the road to the PL Tournament Championship would go through Jacobs Field.

Ten minutes after Casale’s score, Montgomery provided the insurance goal in the 68th minute. Alex McMackin supplied the assist on the Montgomery goal to set the final margin at 3-1.

AU outshot Lafayette 13-5 on the afternoon and held a 6-4 advantage in penalty corners.

Burry made four saves in net for the Eagles, while Deutsch was tested all afternoon and made eight stops for the Leopards.

Aside from Ellenberger, Casale and Montgomery, Gina Hofmann and Rothenhoefer made up a strong Eagles’ offensive attack. Hofmann registered three on goal, while Rothenhoefer added two.

For the Leopards, Deanna DiCroce picked up two shots on goal, while Jaclyn White and Brittany Blass each tallied one.

The Eagles will begin defense of their Patriot League Tournament crown Nov. 4 when they take on Bucknell University in the tournament semifinals. AU will be seeking its ninth-straight tournament championship.

The Eagles will be looking to avenge its loss to the Bison from earlier this season, when Bucknell received two goals from Katie Durkin and defeated the Eagles 3-1. Prior to that victory, Bucknell hadn’t defeated AU since 2001.

The Patriot League Tournament Championship is scheduled for Nov. 5 at Jacobs Field. In last season’s title game, the Eagles defeated the Leopards 6-2.

ttomea@theeagleonline.com