Volleyball cruises past Navy to remain perfect in Patriot League

The AU volleyball team remained unbeaten in conference play Oct. 6 when it earned a straight-set victory over the Navy Midshipmen in Annapolis, Md. The team won by set scores of 25-17, 25-21 and 25-19.

Juliana Crum and Rebecca Heath each tallied 11 kills for the Eagles (12-9, 5-0 PL), who are now riding a seven-match winning streak. Carolyn Ewert led the way for the Midshipmen (6-14, 1-4 PL), as the junior outside hitter posted team-highs with 10 kills and seven digs.

Leading 10-9 in the first set, the Eagles would score 11 of the next 16 points to gain a comfortable 21-14 advantage. From there, kills by Heath and Morgan Hendrix sandwiched around two Navy attack errors gave AU the opening set at 25-17.

AU broke away from Navy in the second set in the same way it did the first, as the Eagles led 10-9 before going on a 11-6 run to take a controlling 21-15 advantage. The Midshipmen cut the deficit to 22-19 before Crum’s two kills helped AU take a commanding 2-0 lead in the match.

The Eagles held their largest lead of the night in the third set when they were in front 18-10 following two consecutive Crum kills, who fittingly ended the game with a kill on match point for the 25-19 third set win and straight-set victory.

The win bumps AU to 5-0 in Patriot League play, and the team has only dropped four sets during those five games. The Eagles are looking to continue their dominance of the conference this season after having won nine of the last 10 Patriot League regular season and tournament championships since joining the league in 2001.

AU will be back in action next weekend for a two-game road trip against Lafayette College Oct. 14 and Lehigh University Oct. 15. The Eagles will return to Bender Arena for a non-conference match with Howard University Oct. 19.

ttomea@theeagleonline.com