Seth Goldman and the AU men’s soccer team are on a roll to begin Patriot League play, as the Eagles have started 3-0 in the conference after Saturday’s 3-0 victory against Army.

Three second-half goals propel men’s soccer past Army in shutout victory

The AU men’s soccer team scored three goals in the final 18 minutes of play against Army, defeating the Black Knights 3-0 in a physical match that saw a combined 31 fouls at Reeves Field Oct. 8.

The team remains perfect in Patriot League play.

“We just told the guys 3-0 is fantastic, and now we can sit back and see what the other results are now that we’ve done our job,” AU Head Coach Todd West said.

Army (5-7, 1-2 PL) immediately put pressure on the Eagles’ (5-7-1, 3-0 PL) defense to start the match. The Black Knights had several chances to score in the first half, with the best opportunity coming five minutes before halftime when David Rouleau’s point-blank header sailed over the crossbar.

AU had zero corners and took two shots in the opening 45 minutes, as both sides ended the half scoreless.

“I thought we started off a little bit slow; we went into halftime and talked about it,” AU midfielder Tyler Collins said. “In the second half, I think we came out a lot stronger.”

Sophomore Billy Knutsen played the entire second half in goal for AU with starter Matt Makowski not feeling well.

The Black Knights immediately tested Knutsen; but Tanner Robertson’s 18-yard shot was saved and Knutsen was able to track back and punch a Rouleau attempt over the crossbar.

In the 72nd minute, it was the Eagles’ turn to attack. Colin Seigfreid served a corner into the box and Adem Gokturk headed home his first career goal to give the Eagles a 1-0 advantage.

Two minutes later, Gokturk would follow up his goal with an assist. An interception in the midfield turned into a switching pass to Collins, who floated a 20-yard shot over the head of Army goalkeeper John Marinelli to put AU in front 2-0.

“[Collins] just seems to relish the idea of us telling him to take guys on and go forward,” West said. “The goal he scored today looked like a professional forward chipping the keeper.”

AU added its third goal in the 86th minute, when Alassane Kane drew a foul in the box and scored on the ensuing penalty kick.

“Army was pretty physical,” Gokturk said. “I think we matched up to their physicality, but our intensity needed to be picked up in the second half and we did that.”

The Eagles remain atop the Patriot League standings with the victory and have won by a combined score of 8-1 over their conference opponents.

“It’s great, it’s a real tough league to play in because all the games are so close,” Collins said. “But we’re actually coming out [and] doing really well with some 3-0 victories, so it should be a good season.”

AU will be in non-conference action Oct. 12 at the University of Alabama at Birmingham before returning home Oct. 15 to take on Lafayette College. The Leopards are in second place in the PL with a 2-0-1 conference mark.