Women's soccer beats GWU for first time in six years

In its final tune-up before the start of Patriot League play, the AU women’s soccer team defeated George Washington University 1-0 Sept. 26 at Reeves Field.

Carleigh Morba’s header in the 72nd minute proved to be the game-winner for the Eagles (4-7-1) and gave Morba her second goal on the season. The junior forward’s first score came in the season-opening 2-1 victory against the University of Maryland Baltimore County Retrievers.

The Colonials (3-7-0) attempted to clear an Eagle attack, but AU’s Danielle Beard was able to keep the ball in the GWU zone and sent a high-arching ball in front of the goal that Morba headed past Colonial goalkeeper Lindsey Rowe for the 1-0 advantage.

“It was a nice job by Dani to keep the ball in the zone and a great hustle play by Carleigh to go up and win that ball,” Head Coach Dave Bucciero told AU Athletics. “I thought the effort was there today and I was pleased with our performance. Those are the types of hustle plays that we need to continue to make as we move forward through the rest of the season.”

The margin of victory could have been more for the Eagles as they outshot the Colonials 19-7 on the afternoon and sent two shots off the post. Of AU’s 19 shots, eight were on goal while two of GW’s seven shots were on net.

In the 13th minute, Michaela Cowgill knocked a shot off the left post while Jasmine Mohandesi hit the crossbar a minute after Morba’s goal.

Rowe made seven saves in goal for the Colonials, while Arianna Efstathiou and Klare Lazor split time in goal for the Eagles. Efstathiou played the full first half and Lazor played the second with neither goalkeeper being tested as each tallied one save on the afternoon.

The 1-0 victory gives AU its first win over the Colonials in the last six meetings between the two teams. The last time the Eagles prevailed over GWU was in 2005, when AU won 3-1.

With the non-conference schedule now over, AU will turn its focus to the Patriot League, as conference play gets underway this weekend when the Eagles host the Navy Midshipmen Oct. 1 at Reeves Field.

ttomea@theeagleonline.com