Getting to know AU administration

As a freshman, transfer or even returning student, the large faculty and staff at AU can overwhelm and confuse. Not only are you memorizing the names and faces of your floormates, classmates and professors, but also the dean and provost of your school. The Eagle has picked out the top six administrators you need to know.

President Neil Kerwin serves as the face of AU. He became president in 2007, and last spring accepted the Board of Trustees’ contract renewal to remain until 2017. Kerwin served as the School of Public Affairs dean and provost before entering his presidency. He graduated from AU with a Bachelor of Arts and met his wife, Ann, while he was an undergraduate.

Provost Scott Bass is entering his fourth year as AU’s chief academic officer. This fall, Bass will review the Faculty Senate’s revisions of the University’s academic regulations from last year. If Bass approves them, the revisions could eradicate clusters and tiers from the General Education program and eliminate the pass/fail option for General Education classes. Bass previously served as the vice president for research and dean of the Graduate School at the University of Maryland at Baltimore County.

Chief Michael McNair is the Department of Public Safety director, a position he has held since the previous director’s dismissal in 2004. He works with other AU officials to enforce the Student Conduct Code off campus, directs security for events and inspections and coordinates with the Metropolitan Police Department. Public Safety is located behind Letts Hall.

Chris Moody has served as executive director of Housing and Dining Programs since February 2007. Last year he helped move 40 percent of the 675 students living in triples into Clark and Roper Halls. Moody also helped create the new meal plan that will go into effect this fall, which includes $200 Dining Dollars and $200 EagleBucks with each plan. Housing and Dining is on the first floor of Anderson Hall.

Dean of Students Rob Hradsky manages portions of the Office of Campus Life, including the Academic Support Center, Counseling Center and Student Health Center. He previously worked as vice provost for enrollment management and student affairs at the University of Baltimore.

Vice President of Campus Life Gail Hanson has served as the executive leader for OCL’s 15 different departments since 1997. She helped expand the Student Conduct Code off campus last June, allowing AU to discipline students for off-campus misconduct beyond D.C. laws. Hanson also agreed to hold a forum to increase AU’s sexual assault programs after students protested outside her office in April. The Office of Campus Life can be found in Butler Pavilion.

pjones@theeagleonline.com