AU basketball alum signs with Italian pro team

Vlad Moldoveanu will continue his basketball career in Italy, as the former Eagle standout has signed a one-year deal with an option for a second with the Italian Serie A League Benetton Treviso.

The deciding factor on why the forward bypassed other options to sign with Benetton was Sasha Djordjevic, who Treviso hired as head coach in early July. The 43-year-old Djordjevic totaled 108 games as a point guard on the Yugoslavian National Team and was a member of the Yugoslavian team that won the silver medal at the 1996 Olympics.

“I knew Benetton as an organization, and they have great facilities, and it is one of the best clubs in Europe, but [Djordjevic] really made my decision extremely easy,” Moldoveanu said. “After a phone conversation with him, I knew Benetton would be the right fit for me.”

Moldoveanu will be joining a club that has been home to some prominent players in the past. Andrea Bargnani played three seasons with Benetton before being selected No. 1 overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2006 NBA Draft. 2011 NBA first-rounder Donatas Motiejunas also played for the squad, as did three-time NBA Champion Toni Kukoc in the early 1990s.

“It means a lot to sign with such a respected team,” Moldoveanu said. “I feel like my work has been paying off, but this is only the beginning of my professional career.”

In Italian professional basketball, there is no higher competition level than at Serie A. Benetton has won five league titles since 1992, with the latest coming in 2006.

Following his senior season, Moldoveanu increased his exposure by participating in two All-Star events showcasing the country’s best seniors. At the NABC/Reese’s College All-Star game, he scored nine points and tallied six rebounds. During the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament, he averaged 10.7 points per game while helping lead his team to the championship.

Recently, Moldoveanu competed as a member of the Romanian National Team in an international friendly tournament in Guimaraes, Portugal. Romania went 1-2, losing to Portugal and Iran but defeating Angola. In the 92-88 victory over No. 13 Angola, Moldoveanu poured in a game-high 45 points.

A transfer from George Mason University, Moldoveanu opted against turning pro after his strong junior season and decided to return to AU.

“I really wanted to get my degree, and though I could have went pro after my junior year, I thought it was better to stay for another year and get [it],” Moldoveanu said.

He ended up earning First Team All-Patriot League honors for the second year in a row with the Eagles. This past season, he averaged 20.4 points per game, second in the conference behind Lehigh University’s C.J. McCollum.

“I am very disappointed that I could not win a championship at AU, but I had a great time there, and I am very thankful for the opportunity I was given,” Moldoveanu said. “I met some wonderful people there.”

Ttomea@theeagleonline.com