AU students in Syria to evacuate Friday

Six AU students studying abroad in Syria will be mandatorily evacuated from the University of Aleppo on Friday due to a small political protest on campus, according to AU Abroad officials.

All students are safe and none participated in the protest, according to AU Abroad Adviser Kristin Leonato.

“These protests were brief and they did not end violently,” AU Abroad said in a program update. “However, the situation is tense and unpredictable, and CET [Academic Programs] and AU think it is prudent at this time to bring the spring 2011 group home. With the introduction of protests in Aleppo and on campus, it is unlikely students can continue their classes in a normal manner.”

CET Academic Programs, a private study abroad organization that works with U.S. colleges, is organizing a group flight to John F. Kennedy International Airport for those enrolled in its Aleppo program. From New York, AU students will have the choice to either remain in the U.S. or to return to the Middle East.

“CET told them they need to leave,” Leonato said. “Where they go or if they choose to return to Syria, we can’t do anything about that.”

The evacuation costs will be covered by CET or AU Abroad’s emergency insurance, which covers evacuations for political situations.

Because the spring semester is nearly over, students will not receive a tuition refund. Leonato said she believes they will probably receive partial credit for courses taken abroad, most likely receiving 12 credits instead of a full 15. AU Abroad will honor any credit that CET and the University of Aleppo decide to grant the students.

AU is looking for ways for students to make up the remaining credits and hopes to continue some courses and independent research virtually, according to Leonato.

She said no decisions have yet been made regarding the Syria study abroad program scheduled to run this summer.

rkaras@theeagleonline.com