STAYING BALANCED – Redshirt junior Matt Mariacher stares down his George Mason opponent in a match from last week. Mariacher is currently ranked 13th in the 141 pound weight class.

AU wrestler Matt Mariacher returns to lineup better than ever

For the first time in AU wrestling history, six wrestlers are ranked in the InterMat College Rankings.

Among those six wrestlers is redshirt junior Matt Mariacher, currently ranked No. 13 in the 141 pound weight class.

Mariacher started this season on the heels of his redshirt year — a year he spent improving his technique and, ultimately, improving his approach to the sport itself.

Mariacher performed well during his first two seasons at AU, which is now ranked number 10 in the nation, posting an overall record of 16-14 his first year and 21-11 the second.

However, Mariacher knew he was not competing at his full potential, often taking the easy way out when it came to discipline.

“Being a freshman, there were so many things that coach would tell me to do that I wouldn’t listen to 100 percent,” Mariacher said.

During his freshman season, Mariacher did not stop eating candy, per Head Coach Mark Cody’s advice, and he noticed that his bad habits had an effect on his performance on the mat.

“I was holding myself back by relying on my own knowledge of how I should be performing and preparing for these matches,” Mariacher said. “If I wasn’t getting enough rest or if I didn’t get a good meal in before a weigh-in or a dual meet, I wouldn’t feel as great going out there.”

By his sophomore year Mariacher had grown in technique, conditioning and mat awareness. He had also moved up a weight class to 141 pounds from 133 pounds. At that point he had a decision to make. Mariacher was thinking about moving up to the 149 pound weight class for his junior season, but Kyle Borshoff, now a volunteer assistant coach for the team, was already in the stop.

Rather than competing for the spot against Borshoff, Mariacher approached Cody about taking a redshirt year.

“I thought it was a good idea,” said Cody, who saw the year as a chance for Mariacher to “make his weaknesses his strengths and to make his strengths stronger.”

During the 2009-10 wrestling season, Mariacher continued to train with his teammates and followed a strict diet. However, he was not allowed to compete in Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association matches or open tournaments in the AU line-up. Mariacher paid his own way at open tournaments, where he wrestled in the 149 pounds weight class with his dad or a teammate serving as his coach.

“It was a little bit more relaxing because there is no pressure on you,” Mariacher said. “It is a lot easier to make gains out there.”

The matches may have been more relaxing for Mariacher, but Cody saw no difference in Mariacher’s dedication in the wrestling room during his redshirt year.

“In order to be effective your redshirt year, you have to work like you are in the lineup,” Cody said. “And there are guys that do that and guys who don’t do that, and Matt was one of the ones that did it. He worked as hard as anyone else in the room.”

Mariacher’s hard work is paying off, as his current record is 22-6 including two wins over nationally ranked opponents in the 141-pound weight class.

Cody points to Mariacher’s improvement in getting out from under opponents as key to his success so far this season.

“He’s still got a little ways to go there, but once he gets to the point where he can get away from everybody, he’s capable of doing anything,” Cody said. “He is capable of winning his weight class, he is capable of being a national champion this year. He has improved that much.”

Mariacher also gives credit to his teammates Steve Fittery, ranked No. 1 in the nation for the 157 pound weight class, and redshirt sophomore Bubby Graham for helping him wrestle without unnecessary pressure on his shoulders.

“I used to think wrestling was the most important thing and that I needed to win in order to succeed,” Mariacher said. “It’s been awesome having teammates like Bubby and Steve around because they make sure I know that competing my hardest, and more importantly competing for God, are what’s most important, win or lose.”

Along with Fittery and Graham, Mariacher has taken on a larger leadership role among the wrestling team this season.

“I knew I had to set an example for the younger kids to try to prevent people from doing the things that I did as a freshman,” Mariacher said. “It is so easy to not do 100 percent of what Cody says, so those guys need somebody to look up to so they can try to replicate that.”

Though Mariacher may not be the most vocal of Cody’s wrestlers, the head coach knows he can count on Mariacher to “lead by example.”

“We hold very high standards for the kids on the team and it’s easy for Matt to live up to those standards,” Cody said. “He is just a wonderful human being and I am proud of him.”

Mariacher’s teammates are also thankful to have him on the team to push them toward achieving their common goal of becoming national champions.

“As a teammate and friend he keeps me accountable, making sure I’m doing the right things on and off the mat, whether it’s eating right or getting to bed on time,” Graham said. “Matt wrestles hard everyday in the practice room and makes sure everyone else is doing the same.”

kgreubel@theeagleonline.com