Men’s basketball Head Coach Jeff Jones looks on during Wednesday’s game. Jones went barefoot while coach to bring attention to the charity, Samaritans Feet.

Head Coach Jeff Jones bares his soles for Samaritan’s Feet

Head Coach Jeff Jones followed his players out onto the court for their Patriot League game against the United States Military Academy last Wednesday.

As Jones approached the bench, he stepped from the polished wood of the court onto a black mat that spanned the length of five AU fold-up chairs. Jones took his customary seat at the middle of the five chairs, curled his toes and lifted his heels — almost as if grabbing at the mat.

Jones was barefoot.

Wednesday’s game marked the third straight season in which Jones coached a conference game shoeless in support of Samaritan’s Feet’s “Barefoot Coaching Movement.”

“Samaritan’s Feet does great work, not only in the United States, but throughout the world by distributing shoes,” Jones said.

The non-profit organization helps impoverished children throughout the world by washing their feet and providing them with new shoes.

Jones, who is a member of the National Association of Basketball Coaches Board of Directors, first learned about the organization from fellow board member Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis Head Coach Ron Hunter, who was the first to coach barefoot.

Jones was struck by the passion in Hunter’s voice when he talked about a trip to South America where he distributed shoes with some of his players.

“[Hunter] made the statement that he loves coaching, but if he was told he had to choose between one or the other, he would continue his work with Samaritan’s Feet,” Jones said. “Having heard that, I was certainly willing to take part in any way.”

Jones’ relationship with Samaritan’s Feet grew when the organization’s D.C. coordinator contacted him.

When Jones first approached the Athletics Department about coaching barefoot three years ago, they were immediately on board with the idea, he said.

This year, the department took the annual event one step further by inviting the cheer and dance teams to also remove their shoes for the game versus Army.

“I didn’t know they were doing it until I walked out onto the court and saw that they were,” Jones said. “I thought, ‘this is great.’ I think that shows that this is a now team effort.”

In addition to the University’s support for Samaritan’s Feet on the court, Jones led his team in distributing over 500 shoes to children on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The team spent four hours on Jan. 17 at Central Union Mission, a faith-based homeless shelter in Northwest D.C.

“The whole point of it was to reach out to others and show that American University basketball cares,” said junior guard Troy Brewer.

Jones said he enjoyed watching his players “light up when they were interacting with the little kids,” and said it was nice to hear from others that his players are a “great group of guys.”

Jones’ passion for the organization rubbed off on a number of the athletes during the time they spent with families at the shelter.

“At least three of our players, Monday after we were finished, actually thanked me for giving them the opportunity,” Jones said. “I think we certainly got more out of the opportunity than even the folks that were receiving the shoes.”

Sophomore Blake Jolivette was one of the men’s basketball players who embraced the experience.

When Jolivette first learned about the shoe distribution, he was excited to have time within his hectic schedule to work with others.

“From a team standpoint, when we are given the opportunity to volunteer we jump at it,” Jolivette said. “We love helping people, and personally I love helping people. “

While at Central Union Mission, Jolivette had “ordinary” conversations with the kids, asking them their names and what they wanted to be when they grow up. He said he enjoyed “knowing that I may have played a little hand in making their day better.”

Jones spent most of Wednesday’s 64-60 victory over Army on his feet, leading his team. There was no sign that his lack of shoes resulted in conservative coaching, for he spent as much time off the mat as he did on.

“Honestly during the game we couldn’t really pay attention to him being barefoot,” Brewer said. “I am sure he didn’t even realize he was barefoot at times.”

Whether he realized he was barefoot or not, Jones said the act had important “symbolic” meaning.

His pale feet pacing back and forth across the pitch-black mat, Jones was a visual reminder to the audience of the millions of people around the world who spend each day without shoes.

kgreubel@theeagleonline.com