Men’s soccer loses pivotal game

In its regular season finale, AU men’s soccer lost 1-0 to Patriot League leading Colgate University Raiders.

Colgate’s Steven Miller scored the lone goal of the match on a sliding shot with an assist from Jeff Leach.

AU junior goalie Matt Makowski allowed the goal, but also contributed six saves. The goal broke the Eagles’ 268 minute scoreless streak. Colgate outshot the Eagles 15-9 and had 7 shots on goal compared to AU’s 2. The Eagles shot leaders included Alassane Kane, Jamie Davin and Mike Worden who each had two.

AU played the last minute of the game down one player after freshman midfielder Colin Seigfreid received a red card. Eli Dennis received a yellow card at the 70:46 mark.

“A number of guys stepped up and competed tonight,” Head Coach Todd West told AU Athletics. “We are still searching for a total team effort, not only from the 11 on the field, but also the reserves. Colgate is a good side and deserves to host the Patriot League Tournament next weekend.”

The Eagles finished with their first losing season since 2007, despite posting a winning record against Patriot League opponents. AU did not finish the year particularly strong, going 0-3-3 in its last six games. Eagles will still be competing in the Patriot League tournament next weekend at Colgate. AU finished the year third in the conference.

Statistically, AU was in the middle of the pack in most of the Patriot League’s offensive categories. They finished the regular season with 18 goals, 1.12 per game, which put them fourth out of eight teams in the conference. The Eagles finished the year averaging 14.33 shots per game, which was third in the conference.

Defensively, AU was also mediocre. The team finished tied for fourth a with 1.00 goals against average. AU also finished fourth in the conference with five shutouts. The Eagles did not look like the most disciplined team throughout the year, as they finished second in the conference with 215 fouls and second in yellow cards received with 23.

This was the final regular season game for the team’s five seniors: Jamie Davin, Jon Freimark, Nick Kapus, David Menzie, and Mike Worden. In their time with the team, they have a regular season record of 30-33-12 and are 14-8-6 in regular season PL games. The most notable mark on their resumes are the Patriot League regular season co-champions in 2008.

Next weekend. the Eagles will travel back to Colgate for the Patriot League Tournament. AU will be the third seed in the tournament and will face second seeded Lehigh.