Dribbling around — Junior forward Jack Scott tries to work around a Syracuse Orange defender in the Eagles 2-1 victory.

Eagles take down Syracuse Orange 2-1

For the first 45 minutes of the game it appeared the AU men’s soccer team was going to cruise to a win against a young Syracuse University team that finished 3-15 last season. Then, the second half started.

The Eagles (3-2) held off the Orange 2-1 at Reeves Field on Saturday, but it was not easy after a much scrappier Syracuse team emerged from the locker room and scored on an opening minute penalty kick to start the second half.

Eagles head coach Todd West said that he was satisfied with the win, but told his team after the game that they can do much better.

“I asked them whether I should high five them for winning a Division I college soccer game or if I should put my shoe up their backsides for making it so difficult.”

The first half featured an aggressive Eagles team that played long ball after long ball towards the goal, putting all the pressure on Syracuse’s defenders. This strategy led to an inside centering pass by midfielder Eli Dennis that senior forward Mike Worden chipped into the back of the net from point-blank range, giving the Eagles a 1-0 lead in the sixth minute.

“We got a couple of passes on the ground back and forth, I just got freed up at the top of the box, took a touch and finished it,” said Worden.

In the 16th minute, a precise corner by midfielder Jamie Davin was beautifully headed to Alassane Kane by Dennis, allowing Kane to easily roll one pass Syracuse’s keeper, giving the Eagles a 2-0 lead going into the half.

“I was just in the right place at the right time and knocked it in,” Kane said.

Forty-five seconds into the second half, sophomore Seth Goldman fouled Syracuse midfielder Nick Roydhouse in AU’s box, which led to a converted penalty kick and some nervous expressions in the stands from Eagle fans.

“It was a little disheartening,” Worden said. “After halftime, we were expecting to come through and maybe put three or four on them. That early penalty kick call was kind of a downer.”

The early goal injected life into Syracuse and they would match AU’s play for the rest of the game with precision passing and three excellent shots on goal that Eagles goalie Matt Makowski handled well.

“I thought the first 30 minutes arguably was as good of soccer as we’ve played this season,” West said. “Then, whether it was youth or Syracuse not giving in, I think we took our foot off the pedal a little bit, so I’m frustrated with that.”

Worden acknowledged that the early goal changed the energy of the game.

“That [goal] kind of threw us off,” he said. “Once they got that goal, they got a little bit of momentum. We were on our heels, but at least we were able to come through with the win.”

The Eagles can’t have a second half letdown on Tuesday against University of Virginia if they are going to pull off a major upset against the defending national champions and No. 2 team in the country.

“It’s a young team, so it comes down to learning how to win games,” West said. “I’ve had teams in the past who might have figured out how to lose that game, so the good news about this group is we still figured out how to win the game.”

After traveling to Virginia, the Eagles will return home on Saturday the 25th to face Bucknell University for their first conference game of the season.