Thursday, May 16, 2024

Police blotter

MARCH 17

Two individuals with no known AU affiliation were distributing flyers in Anderson Hall. The flyers advertised work for students. They were advised of the requirement to have a permit to solicit on campus. Barring notices were issued. The individuals left campus.

D.C. Fire Department transported an injured person to a local hospital from inside the Asbury building.

The Department of Public Safety responded to a fire alarm in Capital Hall. No evidence of smoke, fire or water damage was found. The alarm was silenced. Facilities Management was notified.

DPS responded to a fire alarm in Capital Hall. The alarm originated on the fourth floor. No smoke or fire was found.

A student reported having lost his wallet off-campus on R Street. The wallet was in his jacket. Reportedly, his jacket was always within his sight. He reported the loss to the Metropolitan Police Department.

MARCH 18

DPS used a fire extinguisher to extinguish a trash can fire in front of the Hughes Hall entrance. DPS replaced the extinguisher with another one obtained from Facilities Management.

DPS observed two individuals exit a cab and fall onto a sidewalk outside of the Asbury building. They appeared to be intoxicated. One individual produced a New York driver’s license bearing a date of birth (over 21) which did not match AU records (under 21). DCFD transported one individual to a local hospital for injuries sustained in the fall. The other refused medical attention but accompanied the injured person to the hospital.

Facilities Management responded and freed a student from a stuck elevator in McDowell Hall. The student indicated he had accidentally pressed the alarm button when reaching for a floor button. The elevator stopped when he pressed the wrong button.

DCFD/Emergency Medical Services transported a sick person from inside the Watkins Building to a local hospital.

DPS responded to a trash can fire on the walkway between Hughes Hall and McDowell Hall and determined that the rubber/plastic container inside the receptacle had been burning. It appeared the fire had been extinguished with water.

DPS responded to a fire alarm inside Capital Hall. No signs of smoke, fire or a sprinkler activation were detected. Facilities Management responded to the scene.

DCFD transported an injured person from Katzen Arts Center to a local hospital.

An employee reported vandalism in an Asbury Building office.

MARCH 19

An employee reported two 42-inch flat screen televisions were stolen from an unlocked AU van outside of the Kogod building while he was in the process of delivering them. The televisions were taken while he was in the building delivering their mounting brackets and wiring.

A vehicle struck an AU shuttle bus while the bus was waiting for passengers to board from Tenley campus. The driver’s side mirror was broken. The vehicle fled the scene. No injuries were reported.

DCFD transported a sick person from Mary Graydon Center to a local hospital.

While assisting with crowd control during a medical call, a student touched an officer inappropriately. This incident will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct.

MARCH 20

An officer on routine patrol discovered two non-AU students engaged in sexual activity on the sixth floor of Butler Pavilion. They both claimed it was consensual. Barring notices were issued.

A student reported discovering that the headlights and front passenger hood on her vehicle were damaged while parked in the McDowell parking lot.

A cell phone was stolen from an individual at the Tenleytown-AU Metro shuttle stop.

DPS observed an altercation between a security contractor and an alumnus in the Tavern. They were separated. The alumnus left the event.

While on rounds, a resident assistant heard someone punch a fourth floor north stairwell door in Anderson. He examined the door and noticed a crack in the door window. He saw several individuals in the area. DPS spoke to the individuals in the area. All of them denied punching the door.

MARCH 21

A resident assistant reported an intoxicated individual in an Anderson room. Reportedly, he had been vomiting in a bathroom and stated he drank alcohol. The individual signed a medical refusal form.

During a patrol, a resident assistant observed an open container of alcohol in a Centennial Hall room. Several individuals were barred. A 15-year-old in the room was picked up by his parents.

Cooking products were used to vandalize an oven in Centennial.

Three Centennial ceiling tiles were discovered damaged.

A theft occurred in the Terrace Dining Room. The victim and witness left the victim’s purse unattended while getting food. Later, the victim discovered a phone and cash missing from the purse.

Graffiti was discovered on a wall on the second floor of Bender. Aramark was contacted to have it removed.

A victim reported having given her debit card to someone inside Congressional Hall to go to a store. The individual returned 10 minutes later. The victim failed to get the card back from him. The victim advised him she would contact police if he didn’t return the card. The card was returned to the front desk of Congressional Hall at 11 p.m.

MARCH 22

DCFD transported a sick person from Congressional Hall to a local hospital.

An ambulance transported an injured person from outside of Hurst to a local hospital.

Two laptop computers and an iPod were taken from an unoccupied room in Letts Hall. The residents indicated that the door was locked but they did not deadbolt it. No personal information was on the computers. The incident was also reported to MPD.

A television and several electronic games were taken from an unoccupied room in Anderson Hall, which may have been left unlocked. When one resident returned to the room, he found the door closed but unlocked. The incident was also reported to MPD.

A laptop computer was taken from an unoccupied, unlocked room in Letts. A resident left the room and did not lock the door. Another resident returned to the room and found the door ajar. The incident was also reported to MPD.

A computer was taken from an unlocked room. No personal information was on it. A resident in another room heard someone jiggle the doorknob to her room twice. On the second occasion she looked in the hall and saw two males at the other end of the hallway. This incident was also reported to MPD.

MARCH 23

An elevator technician responded and freed an individual from a stuck elevator in Letts. The elevator was placed out of service.

A student left her wallet unattended next to a copier in Bender Library. When she returned, the wallet was gone.

Keys and a wallet were taken from a room in Letts, which was left unlocked and unoccupied.