Capitals fly to the top

Calling Wednesday’s win over the Detroit Red Wings a big one would be an understatement, because in reality the victory may be one that pushes the Washington Capitals to the next level and to a place where only the best of the best will be able to beat them.

Despite giving up 46 shots, despite having only 23 and despite being down 2-1, the Caps rallied to take down the defending Western Conference Champions with two goals in a 46-second span. It all seems insignificant on paper, as all it does is give Washington two points in the standings, but it may give the team the confidence necessary to finish one of their hardest three game stretches of the year. On Sunday, they defeated their rival, the Philadelphia Flyers, and tonight they will faceoff against their arch-nemesis, the Pittsburgh Penguins.

A win against Detroit was not necessary, but it was significant. Sure the extra win helps keep Washington in the top spot of the Eastern Conference, but they showed themselves that they can play with the league’s elite. Detroit has been dubbed by many as the most successful franchise of the last 15 years and the Capitals came from behind to beat them despite being outplayed. Not only that, but they did it without a strong effort from their three best players (Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin and Nicklas Backstrom).

While tonight’s game is much like the one against Detroit, not crucial to win, a victory would make the Caps the team to beat in the NHL. They would have beaten the Flyers, who are one of the hottest NHL teams right now, the defending Western Conference Champion Red Wings and the defending Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins. They would also have an 8-1-1 record in the past 10 games — one of their best stretches all season.

Success like that sets up a team nicely for the second half of the year. Hockey is a game of momentum. If a good team can stay confident down the stretch, then they are poised for a strong playoff run. Washington could be that team, but they have got to beat Pittsburgh first.

Being humbled before the Olympic Break is not always a bad thing. A loss can force a team to look at its flaws. Washington is clearly not perfect and they certainly aren’t a bad team, but they, like any team, could always improve. It is better for a team to discover their flaws now than during the first or second round of the playoffs.

Around the same time last year the Caps went through a mid-year swoon and Head Coach Bruce Boudreau said the same thing. It seemed to pay off, as the team improved on what they did the year before and advanced to the second round of the playoffs.

It brings to light the final reason why these three games are so important to Washington. All three games have shown a different style of play from the team. Sunday showed the high-powered offense, Tuesday showcased the ability to come from behind. Tonight should show how Washington plays against a team that is almost identical to them. To beat Pittsburgh, despite their current struggles, it is going to take resilience and determination.

Even though it isn’t crucial, and it most likely won’t have any effect on Washington’s postseason seeding a victory tonight in Pittsburgh will show the Caps have yet again improved from the year before. That resilience and determination wasn’t there last year and the team lost in the second round to the Penguins. A win tonight may be a sign the trifecta of play styles needed to win the Stanley Cup is something Washington has finally mastered.

You can reach this staff writer at atomlinson@theeagleonline.com.