W. basketball signs 3 recruits

Head Coach Matt Corkery announced that AU has signed three recruits to the 2010-11 roster Wednesday.

Sarah Kiely, Brooke Forsythe and Alexis Dobbs have committed to the Eagles during the early signing period. They are the first recruits to sign a letter of intent to play for the basketball team this season.

All three have been recruited for their individual abilities, as well as for what they bring to the team. Kiely is 6 feet tall and, according to Corkery, is the most all-around player of the three, with good defensive instincts and a good perimeter shot.

“There are not many players out there that have the versatility that Sarah has,” Corkery told AU Athletics. “Sarah has great athleticism and will thrive in our up-tempo style of play.”

Forsythe is a 6-foot-2 center that averaged 15 points, 8 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game in her senior season at Cloverleaf High School in Lodi, Ohio. Corkery said that she brings a combination of size, strength and mobility to the squad. He went on to tell AU Athletics that he will be looking for her to add new dimension to the post game.

The final recruit is Alexis Dobbs. She is a 5-foot-6 guard from Berea, Ohio. While attending Hathaway Brown High School, she was named First Team All-District, First Team All-Private School and First Team All-Area Northeast Ohio. She is also her high schools’ all-time assist and steals leader.

“Alexis is an energy player with the ability to push the tempo on offense and create pressure on defense,” Corkery told AU Athletics. “She will be a leader on the floor from day one.”

The women’s basketball team went to the National Invitation Tournament last year, where they fell to James Madison University 61-59 in the first round. AU opens its season at Howard University on Friday. The Eagles won their exhibition opener over Virginia Wesleyan College 98-34 on Sunday.

You can reach this staff writer at atomlinson@theeagleonline.com.