Men’s soccer falls 1-0 in PL championship

Early goal enough for Bucknell win

After a strong 9-6-3 season, the AU men’s soccer team lost to the Bucknell University Bison 1-0 in the Patriot League Championship game.

The Bison got on the board early, with just over 15 minutes in the first half. Bucknell’s CK Kumah passed to Brendan Burgdorf off of a corner, who headed it past AU goalie Matt Makowski to take a 1-0 lead.

While there would be a total of 30 shots in the game, the one goal was enough for the Bison to claim an NCAA Tournament birth. Bucknell held a shot advantage over AU with 16, while the Eagles had 14.

Defense proved to be key and it kept the game close. Of AU’s 14 shots, the Bucknell goal keeper blocked five of them. The Eagles’ defense kept the game within reach, blocking seven shots and only forcing Makowski to save four balls.

The close game led to a physical game. There were a total of 27 fouls in the game. Of those five of the were yellow cards and there was one red card. AU junior Jamie Davin and senior Dor Yasur were both issued yellow cards.

With 10 seconds left in the match, red shirt senior Cooper Bryant was issued the game’s only red card, resulting in an ejection. According to the Patriot League Red Card Report, Bryant was removed from the game for using abusive language toward a referee.

The Eagles made an attempt to tie the game in the final minutes. They had five of the last six shots on goal and only allowed three shots in the last 20 minutes. Head Coach Todd West also attempted to get something going by switching up the personnel on the field. He had five substitutions in the final 20 minutes.

AU drops to 9-7-3 on the season and 3-3-1 in conference play. It is an improvement over last year’s team, who had a 6-9-3 overall record. This season is the second time in four years that the Eagles captured a part the Patriot League Regular Season Title.

The Patriot League All-Tournament Team was announced immediately following the game. Seniors Cameron Petty, Colin Zizzi and Bryant were the only members to receive the honor.

AU’s loss marks its final game of their season. The team will have no more games on the schedule until their spring scrimmages during second semester.

You can reach this staff writer at atomlinson@theeagleonline.com.

Updated: 11/16/09 4:30