FIRE STRIKES NEAR AU — A house fire on 47th Street N.W. led to the death of one dog this Saturday. Three other dogs escaped unharmed.

Fire chars house, claims dog

No one was injured after a fire seriously damaged a house near campus on the afternoon of Saturday, Nov. 21, but one dog was killed.

The fire in the 4200 block of 47th Street N.W. was reported at 4:47 p.m., Deputy Fire Chief Kenneth Crosswhite said Saturday. The first units were on the scene within three minutes.

While the house was occupied at the time, no injuries were reported, Crosswhite said. He added that five people lived in the house and they spent Saturday night with relatives. Crosswhite said the family owned four dogs — three of which were rescued.

Massachusetts Avenue remained open during the fire, according to Eric Hauser of the D.C. Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.

Firefighters remained on the scene throughout Saturday night and into Sunday as they continued their investigation of the fire, Crosswhite said Sunday.

The interior of the house seemed charred from bottom to top. Firefighters were seen tossing burned belongings out of a top floor window once they got the scene under control.

You can reach this staff writer at eklapper@theeagleonline.com.