Two soccer players capture weekly awards

Two AU soccer players were honored for different awards last week; Cooper Bryant was the BRINE Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week and Daniel Shannon was the AU Student-Athlete of the Week.

Both players played important roles in AU's wins over George Washington University and George Mason University in the D.C. College Cup. Bryant recorded one shot on goal in both games but had several key defensive stops, while Shannon had three shots as well as three goals.

Bryant is a senior from Niederhausen-Oberseelbach, Germany. He has been one of the team's most impressive defensive players, making several pivotal plays in the season. He received the award on top of being named to the D.C. College Cup All-Tournament Team. Bryant was a NSCAA All-Mid-Atlantic Region Third Team selection and was an All-Patriot League First Team performer.

"Based on his play in the two matches, Cooper deserves the award," AU Head Coach Todd West told AU Athletics. "He was outstanding over the weekend."

Meanwhile Shannon, a junior, earned the AU Athlete of the Week award for his play in AU's cup-clinching victory. He was named the tournament's Most Valuable Player because of his career-high matching two-goal effort. Shannon was tied for second on the team with three goals last year and led the team in game-winning goals in 2007.

You can reach this staff writer at atomlinson@theeagleonline.com.