LEADING THE PACK - Anne van Erp clears a ball in a game last year. Van Erp along with teammates Christine Fingerhuth and Alyssa Poorman were chosen as Patriot League players of the week for their respective positions. Their contributions have helped the team to a 1-1 record. They were particularly important in the teams 2-1 win over Richmond on Saturday. All three players had their best games of the season combining for one goal, an assist and two saves. The team goes on the road this weekend with a game against Michigan State University on Saturday. AU is ranked No. 14 overall and is chasing their third consecutive Patriot League title.

Three chosen for PL players of the week

Field hockey team members Christine Fingerhuth, Anne van Erp and Alyssa Poorman were named Patriot League players of the week on Monday.

Each player earned the award for their respective position: Fingerhuth for offensive forward, van Erp for mid-defense and Poorman for goalie. The three honorees were an important part of the team's 2-1 win over Richmond on Saturday. Van Erp and Fingerhuth combined for eight shots, one goal and an assist, while Poorman made two saves.

Awards are commonplace for the three teammates, as they were honored at the end of last year. Fingerhuth was a third team All-American, first team All-Patriot League and the PL Tournament's most valuable player.

Joining Fingerhuth on the All-Patriot League squad, Van Erp was named to the All-Patriot League second team. Poorman is the only senior of the three and is one of the most decorated players on the team. At the end of last year she was named All-Patriot League second team for the second consecutive season and earned five Patriot League goalkeeper of the week honors.

The three have been starters on the team for the last two years, leading the team to an NCAA Tournament birth last year. As the new season begins, the team is looking to capture their third consecutive PL title. The No. 14 overall team in the NCAA is 1-1 on the season. Their next game is Saturday at Michigan State University.

You can reach this staff writer at atomlinson@theeagleonline.com.