REACHING HIGH- Senior midfielder Leslie Fischer leaps up to steal the ball from her Navy opponent.

Women's lacrosse falls to Midshipmen

A three-goal, second-half rally could not save the AU women's lacrosse team as they fell 8-6 to the U.S. Naval Academy Midshipmen Wednesday afternoon. The loss dropped the Eagles' record to 1-4 in Patriot League play and 2-9 overall on the season.

The game started well for the Eagles, as junior midfielder Amanda Makoid scored less than five minutes into the match to give AU a quick 1-0 lead.

However, this lead would be short lived, as the Midshipmen scored three consecutive goals throughout the rest of the first half to take a 3-1 lead into halftime.

The Eagles refused to give up and came out strong to start the second half.

Senior midfielder Leslie Fischer scored only two minutes into the half and teammate senior attacker Kira Sonberg scored less than a minute later to tie the game up at three.

The Eagles took a 4-3 lead with 17 minutes remaining in the game - their first and only lead of the match.

Navy's Katrina Nietsch scored three consecutive goals over a three-minute span to put the Midshipmen back up 6-4.

The Eagles traded goals back and forth for the rest of the game but were unable to cut down the lead, falling by the final score of 8-6.

Freshman attacker Lauren Schoenberger led the Eagles in scoring with two goals while Makoid, Fischer, Sonberg and senior attacker Gina Ibello each scored one goal apiece.

The Eagles return to action at 1 p.m. this Saturday at Jacobs Field as they take on Virginia Tech in the second annual Lax Blowout.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.