AU students charge it: Credit card debt up

Many AU students enjoy the freedom of owning their own personal credit cards, while others use credit cards connected to their parents' accounts. College students used credit cards last year more than ever to pay for school-related expenses, according to an April 13 press release from student loan provider Sallie Mae.

Some students choose to use credit cards for necessary purposes.

"I charge my books, and I also charge train tickets home, things that I don't have the finances for," said Emily Roseman, a freshman in the School of Communication.

Sallie Mae conducted the study among a random sample of 1,200 undergraduate loan applicants. Among those surveyed, 30 percent of undergraduate cardholders charged tuition while 92 percent charged other education expenses, such as textbooks and school supplies, according to the press release.

"Personally, I don't think you understand the value of a dollar and [in my case] you are charging it to your parents," Roseman said.

The study found 84 percent of undergraduates had at least one credit card. More than half of college students had four credit cards, the average being 4.6, according to the press release.

Joshua Lapidus, a freshman in the School of International Service who has used a credit card since he was 16 years old, said he does not charge more on his credit card than the amount of money he has in his checking account.

"I don't believe in interest," he said.

Lapidus, like many students, has a credit card from his parents, as well as other cards in his name that he said his parents do not know about.

The study found that only two-thirds of the survey respondents talked about credit card usage with their parents, according to the press release. Another one-third rarely or never sought credit card advice from their parents.

Roseman, whose parents pay for her credit card, said she believes parents should address credit card debt with students.

"I think that [student credit card debt] is horrible, and students shouldn't be reliant on school to teach them about it," she said.

The study found that 84 percent of undergraduates felt that they would have benefited from being taught more about financial management skills either in high school or freshman year of college, according to the press release.

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.