Sports briefs

NO. 2-RANKED CANNON LEADS AU WRESTLERS INTO NCAA TOURNEY

Nationally No. 2-ranked and EIWA conference champion senior Mike Cannon will lead a trio of AU wrestlers to the NCAA championships taking place this weekend in St. Louis, Mo.

Cannon, who finished the year with an undefeated record of 30-0, will look to capture his first-ever national championship in the 174-pound weight class. Last year, Cannon finished sixth in his class at the national meet.

Cannon will be joined by fellow Eagles junior Kyle Borshoff in the 149-pound class and redshirt senior Andrew Silber in the 197-pound class.

The tournament will start Friday and conclude with the championship matches on Saturday night. The finals will be shown on ESPN.

-JUSTIN HALL

WOMEN'S BBALL SELECTED FOR POSTSEASON PLAY

After being bounced out of the Patriot League tournament in the first round, the AU women's basketball team looked to be done for the season. However, the team was given a second life when they were selected to play in the Women's NIT for the second straight season.

We're thrilled to be able to compete in postseason play for the second straight year," AU head coach Matt Corkery told AUeagles.com. "Competing against a high caliber program like James Madison is a great opportunity for us, and we're excited for the challenge."

The Eagles finished the regular season with a 19-11 overall record and 9-5 in league play. This is the team's fourth appearance in the WNIT and first time ever appearing in back to back tournaments.

The team will play at James Madison University in Harrisburg, Va., in the first round of the tournament on Friday. The game tips off at 7 p.m.

-J.H.