Eagles escape against Army

Gilmore's free throw gives team berth in PL title game

The AU Eagles squeaked out a tough 61-60 win over the U.S. Military Academy Black Knights during the Patriot League semifinal game Sunday afternoon in Bender Arena. The victory keeps AU in the hunt for its second straight league title and appearance in the NCAA tournament.

Senior forward Brian Gilmore proved to be the hero once again, hitting the back end of a pair of free-throws with 3.9 seconds remaining in the game to break a 60-60 tie. Gilmore was also key to the Eagles' comeback in the second half, scoring 12 straight points over a four-minute stretch to erase an 11-point deficit and give the Eagles the lead at 39-38 at the 15:09 mark.

Despite holding a six-point advantage at 20-14 with five minutes remaining in the first half, the Eagles let the Black Knights take control of the game, falling behind by seven points - 34-27 - at halftime and 11 to start the second half, before Gilmore's scoring run.

Gilmore led all scorers with 19 points, while senior guard Garrison Carr and senior forward Bryce Simon chipped in 17 and nine, respectively.

The Eagles have now won 12 straight games and will look for lucky 13 when they play for the Patriot League title at 4:45 p.m. Friday inside Bender Arena. The Eagles will either play the College of the Holy Cross or Colgate University for the right to go to the NCAA tournament. The game will be aired nationally on ESPN2.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.

Updated on 3/8 at 11:15 p.m.