Caps cautious at trade deadline

The trade deadline is Wednesday and it has already been said that the Capitals need to make a move but it can't be at the detriment of the locker room.

Already once this season the Washington Capitals have needed to move some bodies in order to be looked at as one of the premier teams in the National Hockey League. With only three days until the trade deadline, the Capitals have limited time to work with. That said, though, the team walks a fine line between bolstering a team and destroying a locker room.

Even though they have fixed their penalty kill, the team is still struggling on defense. It looked as if Steffan Kronwall was going to help them on the blue line. But in the end he hurt more than he helped. On top of the bad defense, they also have gotten shaky goaltending all year.

The NHL has already seen how adding a defenseman can drastically improve a team. Mathieau Schneider was acquired in a trade with Atlanta just three weeks ago and already they look like a playoff team. Even though he is only one player, he has pundits saying the Canadians again look like a playoff team. Not only were they able to acquire a force on the power play, they didn't have to give up a single member of their locker room.

The locker room is so important going into the playoffs because it is what carries some teams through rough stretches. If it wasn't for Sergei Fedorov this year, the Capitals could have very well collapsed after some rough games. He is the kind of important piece the Capitals can't lose at the deadline.

No matter how important a new goaltender or a big blue liner is, nothing is going to out ran the respect of teammates. It has been shown in the NBA, MLB and NFL. This doesn't go for just actually trading a player; it is the same for shopping him. A team better be willing to part with a member of the locker room because showing interest in moving him can make even the most loyal players upset.

It has been shown in the NFL just this week. Jay Cutler, the Denver Broncos' quarterback, found out that his team was shopping him for a trade. In a mere hour the leader of the Broncos' potent offense was asking to be traded because he felt betrayed. The Capitals must prevent that from happening at all costs.

At this juncture, a hostile locker room could kill any hopes of building a dynasty. As of Sunday, the only player that has openly been offered in a trade is Michael Nylander - and it has showed in his production this year. His hustle has been pathetic at best and he often finds himself a healthy scratch. That is OK though, because he is by no means a leader on the roster. If it weren't for his big contract, he would have been cut months ago.

If the team is looking at trading someone else, they better keep it quiet unless something is set in stone. Trading a Brooks Laich or Alexander Semin is a sure fire way to destroy offense leadership and production. While both of these players aren't necessarily who the team turns to when they are down three with only one period to go, they do put up a great effort on the ice.

This by no means says they shouldn't be traded. While they put up good offensive numbers, losing them would only cost that, goals and points. It's the players like Fedorov and Donald Brashear that a team can't move at all costs. Fedorov puts the example of how to play well night in and night out while Brash demonstrates how to stick up for your team.

It is these role players that help make a franchise a dynasty. With the exception of maybe six players, any number of the Capitals should be concerned about their risk of being traded - especially after last nights pathetic showing against the Florida Panthers.

The Capitals are maybe one or two players at most away from making a long playoff run. They either need a goaltender or a big man to put in front of the net and a defensemen. General Manager George McPhee showed us last year that he can manufacture effective moves at the deadline and we shouldn't expect anything less this year.

You can reach this columnist at atomlinson@theeagleonline.com.