TAKE DOWN- Sophomore wrestler Matt Mariacher takes down his George Mason University opponent in his 141-pound weight class match Feb. 8. Mariacher took a 14-3 major decision as the Eagles remained undefeated at home by beating the Patriots 29-9. The Eagle

AU splits bouts against Rutgers and George Mason

AU junior wrestler Mike Cannon remains undefeated in the 174-pound weight class at 24-0, as the Eagles split their weekend bouts against the Rutgers University Scarlet Knights and the George Mason University Patriots.

On Saturday, against the Scarlet Knights, the Eagles lost their first match of the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association season, narrowly missing the victory in the final bout of the match.

The Eagles led 17-13 going into the heavyweight finale, but Quinton Pruett could not hold off the Scarlett Knight's D.J. Russo. The Eagles ended up losing the match 19-17, despite beginning the day with a 6-0 lead.

The Eagles' No. 12 nationally ranked junior, Kyle Borshoff, earned the Eagles' first bonus points of the match with an 11-0 victory over Kellen Bradley in the 149-pound weight class. Cannon also received bonus point for the Eagles with his 14-2 win over Mike Whalen.

On Sunday, the Eagles bounced back with a 29-9 victory over the Patriots to remain undefeated at home in Bender Arena.

Cannon and Borshoff both pulled off victories for the Eagles, and they were helped along by wins from Thomas Williams in the 125-pound weight class, Jason Borshoff at 133 pounds, and Christopher Stout at 165 pounds. The surprise of the day was senior Andrew Sibler's 9-4 victory over the Patriots' No. 9 nationally ranked Cayle Byers in the 197-pound weight class.

The Eagles are now 4-0 at home and 11-4 on the season. The team's next match is in Bender Arena at 7 p.m. Saturday, against the University of Maryland, College Park.

You can reach this staff writer at sflynn@theeagleonline.com.