LAYING UP - Sophomore forward Liz Leer goes up for a layup in last night's game against Navy, scoring two of her 18 points of the night.  The effort was not enough to prevent a 68-61 loss for the Eagles.

Kirk scores 25 in defeat

New career highs in points for sophomore forwards Michelle Kirk and Liz Leer were not enough for the AU women's basketball team to overcome the U.S. Naval Academy Midshipmen last night at Bender Arena, losing by a final score of 68-61. The loss drops the Eagles' record to 14-7 overall and 4-2 in the Patriot League.

Kirk scored five of her 27 points and Leer scored four of her 18 points in a five minute stretch in the second half, helping the Eagles take a 12-2 run with 6:15 remaining in the ballgame to shave the deficit from 57-42 to 59-54 with 1:14 left. This would be as close as the Eagles would get all game, as the Midshipmen held on for the eventual seven-point win.

To even be within single digits was unthinkable considering the way the two teams opened up the match.

Navy started the game on a commanding 17-0 run in the first 7:45 before freshman guard Lisa Strack broke the ice with a jumper to give AU its first points at 17-2.

The Midshipmen continued their hot shooting, going on another 11-0 run in just over four minutes to go up by 30-4, a 26 point lead that was their largest of the game.

Kirk soon became the lone bright spot for the Eagles in the first half, scoring 12 of the teams 19 first-half points, bringing the Eagles back to within 19 points at 38-19 entering halftime.

Kirk continued her hot play, while Leer also stepped up in the second half, with the two forwards combining to score 45 of the team's 61 points in the game.

The team would continue to chip away throughout the half before going on the aforementioned run with six minutes to go. This would be as close as the Eagles would get all game before falling at the final score of 68-61.

The Eagles will look to rebound this Saturday, when they travel to Easton, Pa., to take on the Lafayette Leopards. The game tips off at 1 p.m.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.