Women's basketball trips up at Subway Classic

Eagles lose to Minnesota, N.C. State

The AU women's basketball team experienced its first two losses of the season over the weekend at the Subway Classic, falling to the University of Minnesota Gophers 79-62 on Saturday before losing to the North Carolina State University Wolfpack 73-63 on Sunday. The two defeats drop the Eagles to 3-2 on the young season.

In the game against the Gophers, the Eagles quickly fell behind 8-2 in the first two minutes of the game and 13-7 before the Eagles went on a small 5-0 run with buckets by sophomore forward Michelle Kirk and freshman guard Ebony Edwards pulled AU within one at 12:32.

However, this would be as close as the Eagles would get throughout the rest of the game, as the Gophers went on a 13-1 run over the next four minutes to take a commanding 26-13 lead, a lead they would hold onto at 40-33 at halftime.

The Eagles opened the second half by scoring back-to-back buckets by senior guard Pam Stanfeld and redshirt junior guard Nicole Ryan free throws to cut the margin to 40-37.

Once again, Minnesota pushed the lead to 13 at the 11:40 mark, extending their lead to 17 by the end of the game to hold on for the 79-62 win.

Ryan led all Eagles in scoring at 18, her fourth straight game with double-digits.

In the second game of the weekend against the Wolfpack, the Eagles once again fell behind early, as N.C. State went on a 12-0 run to start the game.

AU finally scored their first points of the game on a three-pointer by Kirk at the 14:42 mark to cut the lead down to 12-3.

The Eagles came within four thanks to a senior guard Talicia Jackson three-pointer to make the score 25-21 with five minutes remaining in the half, but the Wolfpack went on a 13-1 run in the final minutes to take a 38-22 lead at halftime.

The Eagles continued to battle in the second half, cutting the lead down to six at 40-34 with 15 minutes to play in the game but this would as close as AU got for the rest of the game, as N.C. State increased their lead to 49-36 minutes later before cruising to a 73-63 win.

Kirk led the Eagles in scoring with 16 points while Ryan once again registered double-digits with 12 points of her own.

The Eagles will return to action at 7 p.m. Friday as they travel to take on Morgan State University.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.