Volleyball suffers loss against VCU Rams

The AU women's volleyball team snapped their 13-game winning streak Tuesday night, falling 3-1 on the road to non-conference opponent Virginia Commonwealth University. The loss drops the Eagles' record to 18-7 on the season.

AU took the early lead in the match, as they recorded a first set win 25-21 to go up 1-0 in the match. Freshman outside hitter Rebecca Heath and senior outside hitter Rubena Sukaj led the Eagles in the set with four kills each.

The Eagles continued their momentum as they headed into the second set, battling to a 10-10 tie midway through the second set. However, the Rams went on a 3-0 run to go up 13-10 and never looked back, taking the second set 25-20 and tying the match up at one set a piece.

After VCU won the second set, the team continued their hot play in the third set, taking an early 7-1 lead before the Eagles were able to rally and cut the deficit to two, 11-9. This would be as close as AU would get all set, as the Rams took a 25-18 set win and a 2-1 lead in the match.

The fourth set was the closest of the match, as each team battled back and forth for control. VCU took an early 7-4 lead in the set before AU mounted a comeback and took a slim 11-10 lead.

This advantage was short-lived, as VCU came back and took a 19-14 before the Eagles once again tied the game up at 20 before taking a quick 23-21 lead. The Eagles continued their lead to 26-25, but ultimately fell to VCU 28-26 in the set and 3-1 in the match.

Sukaj and Nash both played strong in defeat, with both players recording a double-double for their efforts. Sukaj had a match-high 21 kills along with 11 digs, while Nash had 40 assists to go with her 10 kills.

The Eagles will return home to Bender Arena for their final home game of the season as they face off against North Carolina Central University at 7 p.m. Thursday.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.