Ask AU: Who are you voting for in '08?

The Eagle surveyed 50 likely voters on the main quad and in Mary Graydon Center about whom they voted for or planned to vote for in the presidential election. The unscientific poll found 84 percent of these voters had voted or planned to vote for Obama, while 12 percent had voted or planned to vote for McCain. The remaining 4 percent of respondents were still undecided.

"His policies represent my own personal views regarding issues that are important to me - health care is more extensive under his plan as opposed to McCain's plan for example. I believe that he would do a better job running our country than McCain." -Alyssa Aisenson, SPA senior - voting for Obama

"This is a pivotal election for our generation. The United States as being an international leader - Barack Obama I see as being a far better candidate to uphold those kind of responsibilities that for decades now have contributed to our reputation. I don't think John McCain, or Sarah Palin for that matter, is fully qualified to do so, and were they do be elected, I think it would be detrimental to our position." -Tazewell Jones, SPA junior - voting for Obama

"Well, I think John McCain is the best for the economy. Obama's really scared me with his thing about raising taxes, and that's really going to, I think ... kill the recovery, if there is going to be any, of the economy. Also, I'm pro-life, so that's a very important thing for me. And I like that he's not so far-right - he's more of a center-right guy." -Xavier Viteri, SOC freshman - voting for McCain

"I like his economic stance much better than McCain's, and I think that it's important to keep the faith in the American public, which McCain will not do." -Daniella Sirnay, CAS freshman - voting for Obama

"I just don't like the way the country's going right now, and I think he'll be a leader that can change our standing with the world." -Hallie Sacks, CAS freshman - voting for Obama

"Because I don't want to sell my children into sex slavery to pay for my fuel." -Jared McCoy, CAS sophomore - voting for Obama

"Well, I do agree that it's time for change. We've had eight years of Republican leadership and I'd like to see just what [Obama's] going to do. We've had a lot of luck historically with people that have been for change, so I'm really excited to see what he has to offer." -Christina Floriza, CAS grad student - voting for Obama

"I'm voting for Barack Obama because I like his tax plan a lot better than John McCain's. (Obama's) tax plan benefits the middle class more than John McCain's does, and I consider myself middle class." -Selwyn George, Kogod sophomore - voting for Obama

"I think McCain has the experience to prove it. He's been in the Senate longer. I don't think that Obama would be a bad candidate, I just think he would be a more effective president if he had a bit more experience, had been in the Senate longer. Maybe in 2012 or 2016." -Dave Tise, SPA senior - voting for McCain