Registration simplified with waitlist system

AU students may not face the same difficulties they did with course registration in previous semesters because of improvements to the wait-list system, according to University Registrar Linda Bolden-Pitcher.

A major change in the wait-list process was put in place last spring to apply to this fall semester's classes. This shift came in response to the matriculation of the largest freshman class in AU's history and to the frequent problems that had resulted from the former course registration system.

Keith Leonard, a professor and faculty advisor for undergraduate literature majors in the College of Arts and Sciences, said class sizes are bigger than normal this semester.

"At the same time that the large freshman class came in this year, the literature department was reduced," he said. "We had to decrease course offerings by four or five and raise cap on the number of students per class."

The Office of the Registrar has implemented these new methods in an attempt to smooth over the bumpy transition that often occurs between semesters of over-stuffed classes.

The new wait-list system replaces the blue card method with a computerized, publicized, first-come-first-serve system that gives special priority to upperclassmen, according to Bolden-Pitcher.

"[Under the blue card system], if a course closed, you got a blue card signed by the professor to admit you into the class, and you took it to your advisor and the registrar's office," she said.

But there were problems with this method, Bolden-Pitcher said.

"Teachers tended to not keep lists and not know who they had agreed to let in, and it became inequitable for the students," said Julie Wickham, a School of International Service academic advisor.

Many people would use underhanded methods to get into classes under the blue card system, especially since upperclassmen have registration priority, according to Lauren Barr, a sophomore in SIS.

"[Upperclassmen] would sign up for a class that a freshman wanted, and when that freshman would register, they would coordinate so that the upperclassman would drop the course and immediately tell the freshman to add themselves to the class," Barr said.

Nia Jones, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs, said blue carding into a class was a long and complicated process.

"When I tried to blue card into an Understanding Mass Media class, I had to go to the SOC office and talk to an SOC advisor that I didn't know just to get into the class," she said.

When the Registrar's office developed a new system to replace blue carding, they looked for something that was even and fair. The wait-list system was first implemented this fall semester, Bolden-Pitcher said.

Barr said she thinks the wait-list system is successful.

"[It] is great because it takes out a lot of the unfairness," she said.

Jones said that she liked the new system as well.

"I like the fact that you can register online rather through paper, she said. "It's quick and easy for the most part."

During spring registration, there will be a new feature where students will be able to see the availability of a class on the online class schedule and will be notified on their portal if their status on the wait-list is updated, Bolden-Pitcher said.

"While it loses the personal touch of advisors' ability to vouch for particular students to receive priority, at the end of the day, I think I like the electronic waitlist system," Leonard said. "Once we understand and get used to it, we'll do everything that we need to with less paper, less mess and more fairness to the students overall."

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.