Ovechkin, Crosby lead NHL into golden era

Capitals and Penguins start strongly

The two golden boys of the National Hockey League are poised to face off in Pittsburgh and it will be the Washington Capitals' toughest game yet.

The two most marketable players in hockey by far are the Pittsburgh Penguins' Sidney Crosby and our own Alexander Ovechkin. Their flashy goals, pretty plays and friendly nature quickly made them the two most well known players in the league. Their status in the league rose last year when Ovechkin captured the league MVP, while Crosby led the Penguins to the Stanley Cup Finals. These two accomplishments have not only bolstered the idea they are the two best players in the league but also that their two respective teams are contenders in the NHL Eastern Conference.

It would seem then that Crosby and Ovechkin would be big rivals when they played each other. While Ovechkin and Crosby are rivals when it comes to goals and points, the physical rivalry is between Ovechkin and fellow Russian Evgeni Malkin. The two were even roommates at the 2006 Winter Olympics - an experience you'd think would bring players closer. The very opposite is true, however, as they demonstrate on the ice when both of them go out of their way to line up the big hit on each other. These tensions are only going to be elevated with the game being a potential playoff preview.

With the exception of the game against Atlanta, the Capitals have looked like the playoff contenders they were supposed to be. A 4-2 win over the Chicago Blackhawks Saturday and a 5-1 Monday win over the Vancouver Canucks better reflected the playoff aspirations of the team by rallying from behind against Chicago and holding Vancouver to only 10 shots, a Capitals franchise record.

Much of the opposite has happened in Pittsburgh, as the team started slow with a record of 2-1-1. Much of the blame for those two losses can be placed on an offense that was toted as one of the strongest in the league, falling second only to the Detroit Red Wings. Crosby has not scored a goal and only has two points, while Malkin leads the team in points. Saying the Penguins' are a bad team would be an misstatement, though, as they are simply coming off of postseason disappointment and can't be underestimated as it is only a matter of time before they heat up.

Their strength on paper makes the Penguins the first real test for the Capitals. The first exam will come Thursday as the defending Eastern Conference champions are itching to get back on track and would love nothing more than to do it against the Capitals. If the Caps are going to keep Pittsburgh quiet, they need to score early, often and not fall behind. To do that, Crosby and Malkin will have to be kept out of the picture with a strong blue line and aggressive fore check. Theodore also has to be sharp, as the Penguins have a lot of weapons and shoot from all parts of the ice, soft goals cannot be tolerated, with part of that responsibility on the defense as they need to keep the Penguins out of the shooting lanes. If the Capitals are able to accomplish these things they give themselves a legitimate shot at a win.

The game is an important one to show what the Caps are capable of. A win would demonstrate just how far this team has come in a year. That being said, a loss Thursday isn't necessarily a bad thing. As long as the Capitals are competitive, it is a victory for them. This time last year, a game against the Penguins wouldn't have been a contest and a close game will speak volumes of what lies ahead for this season.

You can reach this staff writer at atomlinson@theeagleonline.com.