Eagles offense struggles

The AU women's soccer team suffered its third consecutive 1-0 defeat on Saturday afternoon, falling to the Colgate University Red Raiders. The loss is the sixth in a row for the team, dropping their season record to 3-8-1.

Colgate came out of the gate with a strong offensive push, taking their first two shots on goal within in the opening ten minutes of the game but was turned away each time by AU freshman goalkeeper Arianna Efstathiou.

The Red Raiders broke through for the eventual game-winning goal in the 13th minute, when junior midfielder Jillian Arnault crossed the ball into the box to the feet of teammate senior forward Josie Johnson, who put her shot into the back of the net to give Colgate the 1-0 advantage.

AU had multiple chances to tie the game throughout the first half, with their greatest opportunity coming in the 37th minute, as sophomore midfielder Marissa Crollett crossed the ball towards the head of junior forward Mary Riegler, but her Colgate freshman goalkeeper Rebecca Michlin saved the header to keep the game scoreless entering halftime.

The Eagles came out strong in the second half, once again putting the pressure on offensively but without any results to show for their efforts.

With five minutes remaining, junior midfielder Kelsey Brashier stole the ball from Michlin, who came out of her goal box to try to stop Brashier. Brashier got off a shot on the empty net but a Colgate defender stepped in front to deflect the shot and keep the Eagles off the scoreboard.

The loss extended the Eagles' scoreless streak to six games, having failed to score a goal in the past 622 minutes of game play.

The Eagles will look to get back on the winning track when they face non-conference opponent Princeton University at 3 p.m. Tuesday.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.