Capitals bring back pride to D.C. hockey fans

Team to build off of playoff run

On banner night at the Verizon Center Alexander Ovechkin and company showed why they are the Southeast Division Champions.

The home opener started with the division champs' banner ceremony and ended with a victory the team could be proud of. The Capitals made a historic run to the post-season, winning 11 of their last 14 games to clinch the Southeast Division and their first playoff birth since 2003. The ceremony did not distract the Capitals though, as they rallied in the second and third against the Blackhawks to win 4-2.

The season opened Thursday with a 7-4 loss to Atlanta because of what many have said is the weakest link on the team. Goaltending was the biggest question going into this season with the Capitals signing Jose Theodore due to their inability to re-sign Christobal Huet. Theodore was once considered one of the best goalies in the league but his play has deteriorated in past seasons until last year where he showed flashes of his old play. That play wasn't demonstrated Thursday as he let in four soft goals on 17 shots in the first two periods prompting him to be pulled in the second. While inconsistent Thursday, he rebounded in the Verizon Center against the Blackhawks, stopping 19 of 21 shots.

Theodore looked like a different goalie in the second and third periods then he did against the Thrashers and in the first period against the Blackhawks. He seemed to communicate well with the defense, which Coach Bruce Boudreau had said was a problem in Atlanta and had some flashes back to his Vezina Trophy award-winning days with some sprawling saves.

Much of Theodore's success against Chicago can be credited to the improved special teams play. Against the Thrashers, the Capitals had trouble killing penalties and staying out of the box with 10 penalties, four leading to goals. The team as a whole improved in both of those categories with only six penalties and none of them leading to goals.

The quick high-powered offense the Caps were known for last year returned, scoring eight goals in two games on 77 shots. The scoring is coming from all parts of the team with Alexander Ovechkin, Alexander Semin, David Steckel, Mike Green, Brooks Laich and Matt Bradley all scoring. While both Ovechkin and Green are picking up where they left several players are returning to form after being hindered by injuries last season.

Alexander Semin, who was bothered by a broken foot much of last year has improved his footwork and continues to drive to the net. Semin with two assists and a goal against the Thrashers, set up the go ahead goal in the third period Saturday. He flew up the left sideboards and threw the puck on net setting up Brooks Laich for the goal. Semin's puck control also looks sharper than ever with him out maneuvering most defenders.

It wouldn't be a come-from-behind win if Ovechkin wasn't involved. Ovie had been held pointless in Atlanta and was double-teamed much of the night by Chicago. The reigning MVP couldn't be held silent for too long though. Five minutes into the second period, Ovechkin carried the puck to the right side circle and threaded a shot past Nikolai Khabibulin to tie the game up and would strike again later to put the game out of reach.

While the offensive play resembles what the Caps had last year, one question remains unanswered: Will Theodore be able to play consistently every night? He showed what he is capable of against Chicago but it is not possible to know which Theodore will show up each night. The offense can only do so much and if the Capitals hope to defend their division title their defense needs to stay solid and goaltending needs to be consistent.

You can reach this staff writer at atomlinson@theeagleonline.com.

Still mourning that one show that was cancelled before you could see how it ends? Couch Potatoes co-hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu have you covered as they discuss all the series that shouldn't have ended when they did.