Women's soccer suffers third straight defeat, 2-0, to LIU

The AU women's soccer team lost their third straight match Sunday afternoon, falling on the road to the Long Island University Blackbirds 2-0. The result drops the Eagles' record below .500 on the season, to 3-4-1.

With neither team establishing itself offensively in the opening minutes of play, the Eagles got their first scoring chance of the match in the 31st minute of the game. Freshman midfielder Allison Slattery took a deflection off of a corner kick to get a shot on Blackbird senior goalkeeper Amy Johnson, who made a great save to punch the ball over the crossbar and preserve the scoreless tie entering halftime.

The Blackbirds first got on the scoreboard in the 56th minute when freshman forward Ariana Calderon got a header off of a corner kick by Johnson and put it into the back of the net to make it 1-0 in LIU's favor.

LIU doubled their lead in the 75th minute as junior forward Aly Hanson put a shot past the far post to make it 2-0 Blackbirds.

AU's best scoring chance in the second half came when junior forward Kelsey Brasher came in on a breakaway but Johnson came out to snuff out the threat to maintain the shutout win.

The Eagles return to the field when they host George Washington University at 4 p.m. Tuesday.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.