Women's soccer drops fi fth straight game to Loyola

The AU women's soccer team lost their fifth straight match, dropping at 1-0 decision on the road Sunday to Loyola College in Maryland. The defeat lowers the Eagles' record to 3-6-1 as they enter Patriot League play.

Loyola's offense started out strong during the first half, taking its fist shot only minutes into the period before forcing senior goalkeeper Kelsey Wiggins to make multiple saves within the first 20 minutes to keep the game scoreless.

The Greyhounds scored the eventual game-winning-goal in the 40th minute of play, as senior forward Theresa Ferraina was able to bend her corner kick past Wiggins into the back of the net to give Loyola a 1-0 lead entering halftime.

After recording zero shots on goal in the first half, the Eagles' offense only managed two shots in the second half, with neither able to put AU on the scoreboard.

The Eagles have now failed to score a goal in the past 531 minutes of game play, dating back six matches to a goal by senior forward Krystn Hodge in the ninth minute of the Eagles' victory against Towson on Sept. 14.

With its non-conference schedule over, AU looks to start off Patriot League play on a strong note as they face Colgate University at Reeves Field Saturday. The game begins at 1 p.m.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.