PULLING AHEAD EARLY - Sophomore midfielder Marissa Crollett fights for the ball against her Towson Tiger opponent in the women's soccer match on Saturday.  AU defeated Towson 1-0 with senior forward Krystn Hodge goal in the eighth minute to give the Eagle

Volleyball earns pair of victories

The AU volleyball team sandwiched a pair of victories over Ivy League squads around a loss to No. 22 Long Beach State University over the weekend at the Harvard Invitational. The team defeated Harvard 3-0 Friday and Dartmouth 3-0 Saturday, yet lost to Long Beach State 3-2 in the early Saturday match.

In the first match of the tournament against the Crimson, the Eagles controlled throughout.

AU dominated the first two sets of the match, with scores of 25-9 and 25-19 before holding on in the third set 26-24 to complete the shutout. The Eagles had to rally from a 21-22 deficit in the third sets but were able to comeback for the win.

Senior outside hitter Rubena Sukaj set a new Patriot League record for career kills with 14 in the match and 1,720 in her career. She passes the old record set by Army's Deann Machlan, who played from 1992-1995.

In the second match against 22nd ranked Long Beach State, the Eagles alternated games with the 49ers, but in the end were not able to pull out the match.

After losing the first set 13-25, AU took the second set 28-26 behind strong play from Sukaj. She recorded six kills and two aces in the frame, including the set winner to tie the match up at one set apiece.

After a 18-25 defeat in set three, the Eagles once again tied the match, this time at two after taking the fourth set 25-23, taking 19 kills in the set.

In the fifth and final set, the Eagles took the early 4-1 lead but it would be short lived, as Long Beach State took the set 15-13 and the match 3-2.

Sukaj once again had a strong match, with 21 kills and ten digs, well enough for her fourth double-double of the season.

The weekend ended on a positive note for AU, as they defeated Dartmouth 3-0 on Saturday afternoon.

The Eagles recorded set victories of 25-13, 25-19 and 15-18 to take the match by shutout.

Sukaj was named to the all-tournament team for her efforts, setting another PL record in the process by taking the number one spot for career aces with 256.

It was the third consecutive all-tournament team Sukaj has been on, following her selection at the D.C. Volleyball Challenge and the Texas A&M Invitational. Teammate senior setter Christina Nash also made the all-tournament team at Harvard as well as previously at the D.C. Volleyball Challenge.

The Eagles improve to 5-4 on the season and will return to action on Saturday when they travel to Milwaukee to compete in the Marquette Invitational.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.