Talent vs. determination: MLB nears World Series

Unfortunately, readers of The Washington Post won't see "The Washington Nationals win the World Series!" printed in the newspaper this year. Or the next year. They probably won't even see it for the next five seasons.

Although "change" hovers closer and closer to the city as the weeks move closer and closer to November's presidential election, that change has not and most likely will not encompass the losing ways of the Washington Nationals in the near future. But thanks to the Tampa Bay Rays, there is new hope.

The MLB's regular season has entered its final stages. By Sept. 28, 22 teams will be sent home for a long winter's break. On Oct. 1, the playoffs emerge with only eight teams left standing.

As of Sept. 10, this year's playoffs are an amalgamation of tested veteran and raw rookie teams.

Three of the four possible American League playoff teams have won the World Series in the past six seasons (the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in 2002, the Chicago White Sox in 2005, and the Boston Red Sox in 2004 and 2007). In comparison, the Rays have never had a regular season record above .500.

In the National League, the race for the final four teams is much tighter. The New York Mets are battling the Philadelphia Phillies for first place in the NL East, while the Los Angeles Dodgers are holding off the Arizona Diamondbacks in the West. In the NL Central, the Chicago Cubs hope to win a World Series for the first time since 1908 and the Milwaukee Brewers, vying for the wild card, hope to win a World Series for the first time.

The 2008 World Series will come down to two deciding factors: talent and determination.

In the AL, the Angels have speed, power, pitching and the most overall talent in baseball. On the other hand, they will have to face off against determined teams like the Rays, who are breaking a barrier of losing teams across the country, and the Red Sox, who are trying to keep its formerly World Series starved, and now, somewhat selfish fans happy with another ring.

With players like Carlos Delgado and Johan Santana, the Mets are the most talented team in the NL. But, like the Angels, the New York Mets too will have to face determined teams like the Chicago Cubs.

In the end, determination will trump talent as the Cubs beat the Angels and break a century-long curse. Then again, maybe those Rays will continue to surprise us all.

You can reach this columnist at sflynn@theeagleonline.com.