Men's soccer win 2-1, lose 1-0

Eagles beat Princeton, lose to UPenn

The AU men's soccer team split a pair of games against Ivy League opponents this weekend at the Princeton Invitational, defeating Princeton University 2-1 Friday and falling to the University of Pennsylvania 1-0 Sunday.

In the match against the Princeton Tigers, sophomore forward Danny Shannon scored twice to give the Eagles all the offense they would need.

Shannon tallied his first goal with only two minutes remaining in the first half, taking a rebound off of a shot by teammate sophomore midfielder Jamie Davin and putting it in the net to give the Eagles the 1-0 lead.

AU doubled the lead in the 66th minute when Shannon took a pass from junior defender Cameron Petty and put it past Princeton's sophomore goalkeeper Thomas Gasparini to give AU a 2-0 advantage.

The Eagles would need this cushion as they gave up a goal to the Tigers in the 75th minute to sophomore defender Teddy Schneider, but it was still enough to protect AU's 2-1 win.

The Eagles were unable to continue their momentum into the second match of the weekend against the Penn Quakers.

The only scoring of the day came on a penalty kick in the 24th minute following an AU foul inside the box.

Penn's senior forward Omid Shokoufandeh put the kick past AU freshman keeper Matt Makowski to give the Quakers a 1-0 lead.

This would be all Penn would need, as the Eagles lost for the third time this season.

With the split results, the Eagles fall to 3-3 on the season. After two weeks on the road, the team returns home to Reeves Field to take on James Madison University at 3 p.m. Wednesday.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.