TURNING THE CORNER - Sophomore midfielder Jamie Davin looks to get around his GW opponent during the Eagles 2-0 defeat on Saturday afternoon. The Eagles have only scored one goal in their past three games.

Men's soccer lacks offensive spark vs. GW

Eagles shut out 2-0 in loss

Junior forward Andy Stadler's two-goal effort led the GW Colonials to a 2-0 victory over the AU men's soccer team on Saturday afternoon. The loss dropped the Eagles to 3-4-1 on the season.

For the second time in three games, the Eagles suffered a shutout loss, a fact that caused Head Coach Todd West to say he was frustrated at his team's effort.

"We need to find guys to have the urgency to get behind the other team and create opportunities," he said.

In the opening minutes of the game, neither team was able to establish much of an offensive rhythm.

The Colonials broke the scoreless tie in the 13th minute, when Stadler took advantage of an AU turnover at midfield and took off on a breakaway towards goal, slipping the ball past AU freshman goalkeeper Matt Makowski to give GW a 1-0 lead.

GW's offense continued to dominate during the first-half, getting multiple shots on Makowski but the AU keeper's great saves kept the Eagles down by one point.

AU's greatest scoring chance came with five minutes remaining in the half, as senior midfielder Anthony Moy took a free kick following a foul on teammate senior defender Tremaine Chinapoo.

Moy's shot floated towards the top corner, but GW senior goaltender Matt Scheer's save kept the Eagles down one point as the game entered halftime.

The Eagles' best scoring chance in the second half also came courtesy of Moy. In the 57th minute, he streaked down the right side of the field before passing across to Cameron Petty in front of the goal, but another great save from Scheer preserved the GW lead.

The Colonials doubled their lead in the 59th minute, as Stadler took a lob pass from teammate freshman forward Yoni Berhanu and volleyed it past Makowski to make it 2-0 GW, a lead they would hold onto for the victory.

The Eagles' next match comes on Tuesday, as they travel on the road to College Park, Md., to take on No. 4 University of Maryland. West said the team needs to perform well during that game.

"I just want to be competitive, whether we win or lose," he said.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.