Field hockey falls to rival Univ. of Md. on 2-1 score

The No. 14 AU field hockey team fell to rival No. 2 Maryland Wednesday afternoon, surrendering two second-half goals in a 2-1 defeat. The loss drops the Eagles to 3-3 on the season.

AU had won one of their previous 32 meetings with Maryland, but the team came into the game looking to change history.

Despite the intensity coming into the match, neither team was able to muster much offense in the first half. The Eagles recorded three shots on goal while the Terrapins were slightly better, taking five shots on net in a scoreless first-half of play.

The 0-0 tie continued until 23 minutes into the second half, when the Terrapins finally broke through. Senior back Ellen Ott scored off of a penalty corner to give Maryland the 1-0 advantage.

The Terps doubled their lead 11 minutes later, as junior forward Nicole Muracco put home goal off of a rebound by junior midfielder Ameliet Rischen to give Maryland a 2-0 lead.

The Eagles finally got on the scoreboard with four minutes remaining in the game, as sophomore forward Christine Fingerhuth scored and cut the lead to 2-1, the score the Terrapins held on to for the win.

The Eagles' three losses on the season have come to teams ranked in the top 10 nationally. AU previously lost to No. 5 Iowa and No. 12 Duke in Iowa City, Iowa.

The Eagles return home for the first time in three weeks as they take on James Madison University at Jacobs Field at 2 p.m. Sunday.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.