A TENLEY ICON - Steak n' Egg, a favorite among night owls and early birds alike, makes a great breakfast at any hour of the day.(4700 Wisconsin Ave., NW) Kelsey Dickey/THE EAGLE

A Guide to: Tenleytown

For those who don't feel like a big night out or who are crunched for time, here's the best of Tenleytown and the surrounding campus. Everything is within walking distance of AU's campus or the university's Tenleytown shuttle stop.

2 AMY'S
Where: 3715 Macomb St. N.W.
Price: Pizzas cost around $12

No Papa John's-style pizza here. Try one of the restaurant's existing pizza combos made with fresh toppings, or create your own. It's often crowded, but takeout is an option.

CACTUS CANTINA
Where: 3300 Wisconsin Ave. N.W.
Price: Tacos and combination plates are about $10

Most AU students seem to have an allegiance to either Guapo's or Cactus. This Mexican joint, located just a few blocks south of its competitor, offers similar fare in a slightly higher-class environment. Everyone can enjoy the fresh chips and salsa.

CAFÉ OLE
Where: 4000 Wisconsin Ave. N.W.
Price: One "mezze" portion runs around $8. The restaurant recommends two to three per person.

The cafe offers reasonably priced Mediterranean option just a few blocks down Wisconsin Avenue from the shuttle stop. Enjoy outdoor seating in nice weather and be sure to sample the hot hummus dish.

CHEF GEOFF'S
Where: 3201 New Mexico Ave. N.W.
Price: Dinner entrees run from $16.95 to $23.95

Always a fallback eatery to take a date - or your parents - Chef Geoff's is a classy yet casual restaurant relatively within a student's budget. It is always crowded at lunchtime on the weekends, particularly Sunday with the after-church crowd.

CHICKEN OUT
Where: 4866 Massachusetts Ave. N.W.
Price: Seven wings cost $6.99; half of a chicken with a side is $8.99

Just down the hill from campus, Chicken Out presents delicious chicken and wings. Gather some friends and invest in the 21-, 35- or 70-wing platter.

CHIPOTLE
Where: 4301 Wisconsin Ave. N.W.
Price: Burritos cost around $7

Though Chipotle won't impress Westerners with a taste for finer Mexican, this place makes a pretty great burrito. Pick and choose your ingredients as you watch it made in front of you. Be prepared for the "burrito baby" effect, recently portrayed on the big screen in "Juno."

STEAK AND EGG
Where: 4700 Wisconsin Ave. N.W.
Price: Burgers are around $6; breakfast platters run about $8

This 24-hour diner serves its down and dirty diner-style breakfast foods all day. You're sure to see a fellow AU student, no matter what time - or in what condition - you make it there.

WHOLE FOODS
Where: 4530 40th St. N.W.
Price: Varies with purchase

Always an option for delicious but expensive organic food, few think of Whole Foods as a place for ready-to-eat hot and cold meals. It's pricier than your average grocery store salad bar, but definitely tasty. Be sure to sample the soups.

Z-BURGER
Where: 4321 Wisconsin Ave. N.W.
Price: Burgers start around $4, with additional costs for toppings

This recent addition to the Tenleytown scene is rapidly gaining popularity with its 100-plus varieties of milkshakes and delicious burgers. The fries are hit or miss, but the outdoor seating and other food choices make up for it. On one of the first days of school, Z Burger will give any student with an AU ID one free single burger.