GOING FOR THE GOAL- Junior Leslie Fischer, above, prepares to rip a shot on goal, in Saturday's game against Colgate. Teammate Brit Ferguson, below, moves in to score one of her two goals in the game. The Eagles won 13-10, clinching the Patriot League reg

Women's lacrosse leads Patriot League

Team earns season title; win against Colgate 13-10

The woman's lacrosse team Saturday clinched the Patriot League regular season title with a 13-10 win over Colgate.

Colgate came out onto Jacobs Field ready to fight, scoring the first goal with 25:58 on the clock. It wasn't long, however, before AU tied the game and then eventually, took the lead.

Eight minutes after Colgate's first goal, senior Brittany Finnegan tied the score off a pass from junior Leslie Fischer. Play went on as AU scored the next three goals from junior Kira Sonberg, sophomore Maeve Koch off senior Lauren Aksionoff's assist and freshman Brit Ferguson, respectively.

From the 8:52 mark until the final buzzer of the first half, the Eagles and the Red Raiders exchanged goals. The half ended in the Eagles' favor off an Aksionoff goal bringing the final first-half score to 7-3.

The second half brought out the Red Raiders' strength. Only two minutes down in second-half playtime, Colgate's Lindsay Pittard scored unassisted. Pittard's teammate followed five minutes later, bringing the score to 7-5 in the Raiders' favor.

Halfway into the second half, sophomore Amanda Makoid scored the first of three consecutive AU goals. Less than a minute later, senior Brittany Finnegan followed, and junior Kira Sonberg brought the Eagles' score to 10-5 with nine minutes left in the final half.

From then on, AU and Colgate continued to trade goals. Colgate's five more goals did not prove strong enough to give them the win. The Eagles finished the game to gain the PL title and the opportunity to host the Patriot League Tournament for the first time since 2003.

The Eagles will go on to play either Lehigh or Navy in the semifinal Friday at 1 p.m. at Jacobs Field.